Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking my puppy up in 10 days when she is 12 weeks old. She's in a different country so I need her to have a rabies vaccine and passport so I can bring her home.

She is fully weaned and was vaccinated on 29th of november. She has her second vaccination on tuesday 13th of december and has already been micro-chipped. His vet said that she could not vaccinate against rabies until she is 12 weeks old, which is when he's taking her for her second injection and that's also when her passport is completed. He's asking me if I still want her to have the rabies vaccination.

I've read that it's dangerous to have the rabies vaccination together with other vaccinations. Is there any truth to that? Should I have her vaccinated or should I wait a little longer?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you are able, I would space out the vaccines. In honesty I prefer to do that anyway... because if for some reason your dog has some kind of reaction, you'll have no way of knowing which vaccine caused it.

That is interesting that the passport requires rabies. Since most vets won't vaccinate against it until 12-16 weeks of age; does that mean that no puppies can travel to other countries if they're younger than that???

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is interesting that the passport requires rabies. Since most vets won't vaccinate against it until 12-16 weeks of age; does that mean that no puppies can travel to other countries if they're younger than that???
Ohhhh this makes sense!!!! I'm sorry I was assuming that the rabies vaccine is required for travel even at 12 weeks old. The breeder didn't tell me that she needed it, he just asked me if I still wanted it because I was asking for it.

If anyone else can confirm this: do puppies of 12 weeks of age NEED a rabies shot to be taken back to their country? Both countries are within the EU.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.