Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the big day is tommorrow.... :shock:

Gizmo gets his rabies as I have said I am nervous...but my mom is coming with me, so that should help.

Any suggestions for aftercare? I read how some of your babies get bumps in that area...

I'm just nervous about allergic reactions :(

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
She can have a bump for up to a week...if it lasts longer or gets bigger the vet can tell you what to give...i was told to give a 1/4 baby asprin to my girl...but dont give that uless you get the vets okay.

Otherwise just keep an eye out for redness and swelling in the face. They can be pretty wiped out after the shot so dont be shocked if your girl acts like she is tired...the injection site can also be very sore so try to avoid touching it.

Your chi should do just fine. Its always good to know what to look out for. Let us know how he does!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He gets a fever everytime he gets shots...I'm just all nervous after the drama the last vaccines created...don't want another episode of major face swelling... :shock:

I'll ask this time about medications I can give him in case of...

·
Registered
634 Posts
My Vet will sometimes give Benedryl a little while before giving shots to dogs who have reactions. Will you Vet do something like that for Gizmo? Ask about it.

Good luck Gizmo!! :wave:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Be sure to rub the shot area once every 30 minutes for several hours. This can help reduce the swelling and soreness. I do this with Zeus every time he gets a shot and we've had no problems.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My vet gives chico some kind of anti inflamatory (sp?) either before or after shots. he goes for his third round of shots in august. just be careful and try not to touch wherever he gets his shots, because he might let out a little yelp.

·
Registered
321 Posts
wow i was told by my vet not to rub the ares where shot was given,she said it irritaes it and can hurt them??? As with any shot watch for face swelling and hives and good luck remember to give a baby tylenol.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Sturgis I was informed needs to take benedryl prior to vaccines as he had a bad reaction when he had gotten his. I had a scare with Daytona with his last dhlp+ and Lepto I can assure you he will never get 2 shots like that again. Its all in one or nuthing. He was pitiful I thought we were going to lose him. He is 3 years old he never had it done that way before. I think new vet made a boo boo

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
wow i was told by my vet not to rub the ares where shot was given,she said it irritaes it and can hurt them??? As with any shot watch for face swelling and hives and good luck remember to give a baby tylenol.
That's odd. I was told just the opposite. I think the key is to start rubbing it before it has a chance to swell up and get irritated. My daughter's pediatrician also told me the same thing when she was a baby and getting immunized. She never had a knot or soreness from any of her vaccines.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything went well at the vets! No swelling, no irritation...he was bouncing around like nothing was wrong!! He freaked out when we went into the office...he wanted to go!! But the vet took him and gave him his shot in less than seconds...

Afterwards He was a little sleepy...but he is ok...I am sooo relieved! :D :thumbleft:

·
Registered
936 Posts
NoahFL said:
Be sure to rub the shot area once every 30 minutes for several hours. This can help reduce the swelling and soreness. I do this with Zeus every time he gets a shot and we've had no problems.
My vet also told me to rub the spot, because the injection goes into the muscle. She said if taking a nap and so forth it tends to tighten making them yelp. So rubbing it will loosen the muscle. I don't know, I did it and Seiah never yelped, but he was very grumpy that night and the following morning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts