Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
There are two different kinds of rabies shots. It's up to your vet to decide which they use. My vet's office uses the three-year on cats but still uses the once a year for dogs, citing several different things about why they don't use it. My friends have noticed the same situation at their vets.

You may call your vet and ask if it's available at their office but, from my experience, I don't think many vets like the three-year shot for one reason or another.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
in FLorida its the law that they have to be vaccinated every year also. Don't worry too much about it though the actual shot is cheap, its the rabies tag thats more expensive.

I think it's like that in every state..when I lived in VA, same thing... :wave:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx :) i was just wondering. And another thing is how many times a year should I take him to the vet for check-ups to make sure he is as health as possible. My last chi Nikki passed almost a year ago and I miss him so much. So now I just want to make sure Sammy is as healthy as he can be. :lol:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Once a pup has had all their initial vaccinations, it is not necessary to take them in, except for their yearly exam and boosters. Their is no need for "well-baby" check-ups for our furbabies.

If you notice any problems in between those annual visits, however, then of course you need to bring your pup in to be checked. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Yeah I just take Auggie for his annual shots ( may start doing every 2 years ) and of course always take a little sample with me :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I take my both Cooper and OmaKitty twice a year, even though it's only recommended that you go once a year. OmaKitty has an arrythmia, so I like to get her checked out and I just take in Cooper for a general physical exam to ensure he's doing okay 6 months after his annual exam. I also go to the dentist 4 times a year because I'm a freak about my teeth.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Trinitee_112 said:
What about teeth cleaning how often and when should I start.
If you're talking about brushing your pup's teeth yourself, start right away. Get him/her used to the toothbrush first before you put on any toothpaste.

If you're talking about the vet cleaning your pup's teeth, your vet will let you know when it's time for a cleaning.

There are many products out there that promote good dental health in dogs like Greenies, Denta-bones, etc. If your dog is chewing on those, their teeth won't need to be professionally cleaned as often. For instance, I've had Cooper on Greenies since he was 6 weeks old and, according to the vet, his teeth have no tartar or any other yucky stuff at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts