Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently stopped in town by the police asking for my dog licenses for Joey, Paco and Baby. I didn't realize that they were required (I just moved to the beach in May). So, I printed three applications from the website, made copies of their rabies and neuter records, and stopped by city hall today. Well, they informed me that I could only get a licence for Baby because his current shot is good through the end of the year, whereas Joey and Paco are due in August and October. Apparently the timing issue has to do with a state law. So when I asked what I was supposed to do about Joey and Paco, she said I could ask my vet about getting their three-year shots early and conveniently, they are having a free rabies clinic at the firehouse this Saturday. I don't think that's a big deal for Joey because he is due in August anyway. Paco isn't due until mid-October though. So now I'm waiting to hear back from the vet... Anybody else ever have anything similar happen? Do you think 8 months after his one-year shot is too soon to get Paco his three-year? I wonder what the vet will say...

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
are u serious....wow they must be cutback on their pay or something because thats so silly to even stop a person for. come on now...so glad i dont live in nj i'm past due on his rabies shot

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha--i know. i've walked them by beach and in town for months now and have never been stopped before, which is why i didn't even know about it. at least they were nice and just gave me a warning--apparently they have been ticketing people. yay jersey, lol.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
haha--i know. i've walked them by beach and in town for months now and have never been stopped before, which is why i didn't even know about it. at least they were nice and just gave me a warning--apparently they have been ticketing people. yay jersey, lol.
that really sucks! i would go nuts if they did that here. i HATE town hall. been there way too much so i know how u feel lmao. i just dont understand why dogs need licenses in the first place...they make them seem like their paws are their wheels for a car

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
That is really stupid if you ask me. Rabies vacs & licensing is required here by law. You have to license every Jan & if your 2 weeks late there is a $15 fee or something. Guess what? I was a week late so I had to pay $60 in late fees. :x It was more than the actual licensing. Talk about stupid laws!!! That's a mistake I won't make again though. LOL I thought it was a flat $15 fee...didn't realize it was per dog. Oopsie!

But saying that - Mari was due for her 3yr rabies in March & they didn't make her get it early in order to license her. I'd be inclined to wait to be honest. As it is they give the same vac dose in a 150lb dog as they do in our little Chi's. I hate the fact they "need" to get the rabies vac as it is so I'd probably risk it & wait myself. But that's JMO.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is really stupid if you ask me. Rabies vacs & licensing is required here by law. You have to license every Jan & if your 2 weeks late there is a $15 fee or something. Guess what? I was a week late so I had to pay $60 in late fees. :x It was more than the actual licensing. Talk about stupid laws!!! That's a mistake I won't make again though. LOL I thought it was a flat $15 fee...didn't realize it was per dog. Oopsie!

But saying that - Mari was due for her 3yr rabies in March & they didn't make her get it early in order to license her. I'd be inclined to wait to be honest. As it is they give the same vac dose in a 150lb dog as they do in our little Chi's. I hate the fact they "need" to get the rabies vac as it is so I'd probably risk it & wait myself. But that's JMO.
OH wow... yeah, that must have taken you a bit by surprise!

I just don't understand the time limit by year thing. There's got to be a better way.

I was honestly considering just getting Joey done and waiting for Paco and just carrying a copy of the paperwork in my wallet and explaining what happened in the rare event that I get stopped again.... Ugh.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The timing on that is just weird. Here, whenever you get the initial Rabies shot, you register right then and there.. and a year later whenever the shot is due, you register again.

The only exception would be if someone moved into a different county sometime in between, but even then, you can just bring proof to the Animal Control and as long as the vaccine is current, they register the dog.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Here we are required by law to get rabies shots every 2 years. There is another one as well so they are alternated, parvo maybe, I'll have to check, but anyway, they alterenate them every year so we are required to get shots done every year. But when they give the rabies shot we are given a tag for the dog to wear as proof of the rabies shot. We also are required by law to register (dog lisence) the dog every year and if you are late its basically double the price in late fee's. Its absurd I think to have to pay EVERY YEAR to register your dog lol
Hubby and I talked about it yesterday....how much it costs per year just to own our dogs....and half way through the conversation I said STOP....I don't want to think about it!! lol It is ALOT lol :) Oh the things we will do for our dogs hhehehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts