Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dragonlilly will not go potty while it's raining. I put her parka on her, we were under a big tree, but she just wanted to dash back inside. It's drizzling but it is wet outside. I took her back to her spot 4 times with no luck. She wouldn't even consider going potty. Her last pee was at 5pm. We get up at 5:30 am usually.

What should I do? I keep wondering if I could train her to jump into the tub and pee, but she's 2 year old rescue.

Help!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
She will go eventually. Stick it out- then when she goes take her back inside right away. She will learn the faster she goes the faster she gets back inside. My Copley will pee in seconds if the weather is bad out now, in fact if I take him out when it is raining and he doesn't really have to go he will squeeze out whatever he can so he can go inside. It just takes a little patience but they will get it.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My Venus is the same way lol. She will pull and struggle to stay in the house when she sees it's raining out. She's eventually learned that if I carry her out and set her down in the wetness, the quicker she does her business the quicker I'll pick her back up and carry her back in to the warm dry house. Ocean, on the other hand, could care less what the weather is doing. She'll run outside into anything! Lol

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Ugh, the ultimate don't want to get wet. Chis are like that. You just have to keep trying. My chi is 8 and still gives me a hard time peeing when it's raining, but I block the door until she goes or I'll keep taking her out every few minutes until she goes.
It is possible to train them to go in the tub if the sides aren't too high and she can climb in. I trained my first chi to use pee pads in the tub. Once she learned, I didn't need the pee pads anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Persistence

OK, well, I guess I will just have to be persistent and use tough love, lol. Hopefully she can come up with a 1 and a 2 quickly!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shoot , it just started drizzling again! I should have gotten her up and out of bed during the dry moments.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Dexter doesn't mind peein in drizzling rain but god forbid its windy he wont budge. KC goes out in a snowstorm if she wanted to lol! She loves bein outside and is fearless. I just think they all have different preferences. Maybe a pee pad inside for rainy days will be helpful :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Cai is indoor potty trained. However, since his hormones are going crazy lately, he wants to go outside more and more to pee on everything. Last week was my first time trying to take him out during the rain. He peed really quickly then turned around to come inside. Lol Guess rain beats marking!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Successss!!!!! thanks everyone for your support. I took her out back where there is a total tree canopy, and she was not having any of it. So we went to our normal spot, and I had to return her there (she kept trying to run back inside, but I had her leash on) 6 times! Then we started to walk a little bit and she poo'd. I'm not going to make her walks today, but since it rains 3-4 days at a time here we are going to have to get used to it.

Thanks again! When she was cowering from me and hiding under the dining room table, I thought of you and kept at it. I also stayed very positive, even though she was acting so scared. Happy voice, no frustration. I love how my little chi teaches me to be strong and soft at the same time!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where can I find more about indoor potty training. She's almost 2, do you think that will matter?

Cai is indoor potty trained. However, since his hormones are going crazy lately, he wants to go outside more and more to pee on everything. Last week was my first time trying to take him out during the rain. He peed really quickly then turned around to come inside. Lol Guess rain beats marking!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts