Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued both our dogs over the past few months.

Pedro (terrier/chi mix) was 3 years old when we got him. The animal shelter said he was "semi" housetrained. We quickly found that as long as you paid attention to him, he was completely housetrained. (I only work 6 hours a day, he's only alone for 4, and he makes it just fine.) He goes outdoors on a leash.

Gracie was only 5 months old when we got her, and had been turned over to a small animal rescue group because her owners found her 'untrainable'. Within a week, we had her trained to potty outside, as well.

My only problem is rainy days...Neither of them like the rain, and both refuse to go out in it. If I pick them up and carry them out in it, they try to climb me like little monkeys, and won't consider using the potty.

Has anyone ever reverted to puppy pads for situations like this when the dogs were trained to go outdoors? I'm thinking this might cause extra confusion for them, and don't want to un-do how far they've come, but I have a feeling it's going to be a rainy fall!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Some on here have posted that they have used umbrellas, put chairs with a cover over in a place that they will go. I wouldnt revert back to pads if they are doing so well. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To my knowledge, neither of them were ever pad trained. But I'm like you...I'm afraid that trying to pad train them for rainy days might set them both back and cause massive confusion.

Gracie (the pup) had a meltdown yesterday and pottied on the front porch, and looked quite shocked when I rewarded her for it!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
lol i pad trained my boy from the start and then outdoor trained him but then he got confused and now pees and poops outside but when no one is in the house he pees and poops on the kitchen mat or carpet... -_-; now i dont know how to fix this LOL...

·
Registered
185 Posts
when I first brought home my puppy, she absolutely hated the rain and also refused to go potty outdoors. She kept running back to the door, wanting in. But as it rains a lot in the NW, I knew she would have to get past that. And she did. With perserverence, she has gotten used to being out in the rain - that she wouldn't melt, lol - and now she has no problem whatsoever with being outdoors in the rain. I'm usually ready to go in before she is! I think a lot of praise and a treat (smear of peanut butter) helped as well.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Midgie sometimes refuses to go out in the rain, so I'll stand on the porch egging her to go, but if she won't & keeps running back on the porch, I'll give up, but watch her for when she's ready & really has to go. She's usually pretty good at going outside, but every now & then she likes to poop on the carpet in my bedroom which I think is a chi thing cause my other chi used to do the same thing. I don't mind this, but I do scold her by saying in a stern voice "What did you do?" It isn't a messy poop & easy to clean up. I'm glad she doesn't pee in the house--Never! That would make me angry cause that's not so easy to clean up on carpet.
My chi gives me a hard time about going out when it gets really cold too!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Exactly as you said, when they're paid attention to they're trained just fine.

I too wouldn't revert back to pads because it causes a ton of confusion.

My suggestion is to not make a fuss of it, if you jacket them get them suited up with as little excitement as possible, harness and walk (not carry) them outside if possible. Umbrellas might work but I haven't used. My girl hates rain but as it rains A LOT in southeast Texas she has just accepted that if it's raining she needs to hurry out, potty and hurry back. She wont poo if it's raining, she'll hold it, but she will wee at least enough till the rain slows.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My girls are trained to go potty outside, we don't use puppy pads. Like your pups mine don't like the rain either! They'll run out and then run right back in! lol When it's lightly raining it seems to not be so bad but if it's hard and nasty out there I'll take an umbrella and go out there with them....It works for us. Hopefully if you try you'll have some luck! :love2:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
My 3 are all potty trained but the yesterday the rain was so bad and violent for over 12 hrs they literally would not go out and Prada has never been afraid of rain but seriously would not leave my porch wouldn't even pee in the leaves in my drive way it was so violent and hard pouring I just confined all 3 to my room and then waited a few hrs and made my other half take them out in the storm they had held it for so long they finally went but if they hadn't I would have crated them and then kept trying. I also put jackets on them so their hair doesn't get wet although the rain went right thru the jackets yesterday. I don't blame them though it was pretty bad I wouldn't want to go out either lol

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions...And, at least I know I'm not alone!

Pedro will eventually give in and go pee, but Gracie is trying to climb my legs like a monkey the entire time we're out there. She's the one I have to watch because she's just a pup and can't hold it as long as Pedro can.

She always wears a sweater or jacket outside - she's so cold natured.

These two even balk over frost on the grass, but they will eventually walk out into it.

Thank goodness we don't always have rain! (I can't imagine what they'll do if it snows, which it rarely does around here.) It's a good thing I learned how to shovel snow in Canada!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts