Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mia loves raisins.
its not like im gonna fill her bowl with raisins instead of dog food,
but do you think that 1 every once in a while as a treat is bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
I also thought I heard that too. I know that grapes are really bad for dogs. So I doubt raisins can be any good? Correct me if I'm wrong! :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
I have a recipe for a dog cake, using bananas and other stuff. It calls for raisins and, in the recipe, they say to cut the raisins if the cake is for a dogs under 20 lbs. Larger dogs can eat raisins, it says, but only in small amounts. Small dogs - nope.

Cooper loves grapes. I give him about 1/2 a grape whenever I eat them, which is not often because grapes are in the fruit and vegetable category and I'm more of a chocolate and coffee category girl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
WHY risk anything?????? What one dog may handle ok another may not, no matter what the size!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
How i think if im eating anything like that is 'Would i give my dogs even a little bit of poison' No of course i wouldnt, so i dont give them any raisins, grapes,chocolate etc etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
I found this on the web:

Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians at the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.


I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM
6/5/2001

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.html#Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
Cooper got his little paws on a piece of chocolate candy one night around 2am about a year ago. It was a Hershey's dark chocolate candy and I found the wrapper under his blanket on the couch. (He didn't even get any on the couch or blanket - what a good boy.)

I was amazingly calm. I got online, looked up the candy on the Hershey's website, found out the weight of the candy so I'd know exactly how much he'd eaten, then called the emergency clinic.

The doctor told me he'd probably get sick with diarrhea but it wasn't enough to do any damage to a dog his size. He told me to bring him in if he didn't start pooping or if I just freaked out.

I watched Cooper like a hawk, needless to say. He did get diarrhea and every time he'd go outside, I would stand there, show him the wrapper and say "this is what happens...."

I dropped another piece of candy on the floor about 2 months ago and he came up, sniffed it and walked off. I hope the memory of the agonizing diarrhea and sick tummy stays with him the rest of his life ... because I'm a slob. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
I know you're wondering ... and yes, my neighbors think I'm absoutely crazy.

Except for Travis' mom across the street. Travis is a cat and from the way she talks to him, you'd think he was a human. She and I get along really great. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
hmmm my manchester terrier and pug used tooo love chocolate and i gave it them everyone in a while and they lived to 15years old which is fantastic for a pug! I heard that choc is bad for them but not poisonous. Deano eats no chocolate whatsoever and i dont think he likes it anyway! he likes icecream tho! :icescream:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top