Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is snarling at my kids and anyone that comes up to me. He's not snapping at them or trying to bite them, but I am afraid he might. This is not a good thing. I know it is from fear but I do not want them hurt. No amount of me telling him no and holding him so he feels secure and having them give him a pet on his back is working. He does not take treats from me, so I can't have them give him a treat so he gets to know them. Any suggestions? I really want to try to keep him if possible.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
He is snarling at my kids and anyone that comes up to me. He's not snapping at them or trying to bite them, but I am afraid he might. This is not a good thing. I know it is from fear but I do not want them hurt. No amount of me telling him no and holding him so he feels secure and having them give him a pet on his back is working. He does not take treats from me, so I can't have them give him a treat so he gets to know them. Any suggestions? I really want to try to keep him if possible.
If he snarls at someone else coming near you, immediately put him down. Ignore him completely and interact with the person as normal. If he stops snarling, praise him gently. If he continues to snarl, pick him up and put him in the bathroom and close the door. Leave him there until you are done your conversation. Sooner than later, he will realize snarling means separating him...from what he wants to protect most.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would say that the holding him to make him secure is possibly making him feel more like he is protecting you from them rather than you protecting him?

I would just leave him be if he is that insecure and not let the kids touch him for a few weeks until he is settled in more.

I would also not let him be alone with kids until you know for sure that he is comfortable enough not to react and take a nip.

I would not force the interaction between him and the kids, but rather let him approach them when he is ready.

Jenna
PS. I love how you have added him to your signature pic already...he looks so rough compared to your other guys lol!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, that is a good idea. He snarls when they come near his bed, too. He used to snarl at the other dogs, but now stopped. Maybe I need to have them come talk to me more often so he gets used to having them around me more, too. Becky just came back over to talk again and he kinda growled a little. I told him no again and he got out of his bed and sniffed her, then walked around her a bit with no problem. I think he may just need to get used to them more.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the suggestions. I have never dealt with this before. Being as 4 of my kids are special needs, I really need him to be safe around them. I will have Becky and Sarah start feeding him.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I know Heather (MChis) had a few issues with her new gal, Maya, who came to her home as an adult with snarling at her kids.

Have your two girls be very matter of fact. Tico, here's your food, sit before you can have it. etc.

Explain to your children that they don't need to be scared of him...Tico can sense fear and it sometimes can illicit this response. Tell your children they are 100% boss of this new dog, that you love them most and that they come first. I am sure you've told them all that already, but it never hurts to repeat.

Keep us updated on progress.

If you can bear it, EVERYTHING Tico needs for the next few weeks should come directly from your children old enough to help. You should minimize any affection you give him and almost ignore him. I know that sounds hard, but he has to realize he "needs" other members of your pack than just you =)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I tried something and it worked. :) I fed him his lunch on the bed in Becky's room with Becky. After, I sat next to Becky and put my arm around her and kissed her and 'pet' her leg. Tico came up and sat on my and Becky's legs. After a bit, he laid down on her leg with his back touching mine and he let her pet him! We stayed like that for about 10 minutes, with me praising him all the while. I think each meal we will do it the same way. Becky has no fear of the animals at all, that is one reason I was worried.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Ok, I tried something and it worked. :) I fed him his lunch on the bed in Becky's room with Becky. After, I sat next to Becky and put my arm around her and kissed her and 'pet' her leg. Tico came up and sat on my and Becky's legs. After a bit, he laid down on her leg with his back touching mine and he let her pet him! We stayed like that for about 10 minutes, with me praising him all the while. I think each meal we will do it the same way. Becky has no fear of the animals at all, that is one reason I was worried.
That's wonderful! Always remember what a powerful tool food is when trying to elicit behaviors out of most dogs. Good work =)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the great suggestions, I just got a little freaked there and panicked a bit. I did not want to have to have this old man pts. But I also won't put my daughters in jeopardy, either.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Just keep doing what you are doing.It is possible you might need to try that with all of your kids if possible.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I already have with Sarah and Jessica, then he started getting a little stressed, so we broke off for right now. I will continue slowly until he is comfortable with everyone in the house.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Yeah, I already have with Sarah and Jessica, then he started getting a little stressed, so we broke off for right now. I will continue slowly until he is comfortable with everyone in the house.
Good I am glad it is working out.:hello1:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I hope that will work great for you guys but if for some reason it doesnt. Please keep "NILIF" Nothing in life is free in mind. You can google this, it is a reward system where they have to do something for you before you allow them to do certain things like being fed, being on the bed/couch, etc... This will help you establish pack leadership in your home.

Please keep us updated :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I will keep it in mind. I have no idea what this little guy has been through. The bad eye looks like it could have been caused by trauma. That whole side of the face looks caved in. So trust issues with him may be extensive. I am committed to helping him, but it is going to take time. He's only been here 5 days, everything is new and scary.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Just keep working with him.He sounds like he has had a reallly bad life.Just give him some time.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Sounds like you have the right idea, just let him know he is waaaaaaay down the pack structure after your kids. So no cuddles unless he behaves himself and getting the kids to help with feeding under supervision. He needs to know where he stands as it sounds like he has had precious little normal life, poor baby.:(
Also bear in mind that rescue dogs often wait a couple of months until they feel secure enuf to start really testing boundaries so he could play up a bit more, also older dogs have very low tolerance for interference. I would make sure he has a safe zone that is child free and just make sure you are totally consistent with what you expect from him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts