Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prada had a piece of a turkey neck last night for supper and I was checking out her teeth later on to see if the yellowing had chipped off at all and noticed her back molar is chipped and her gum is sliced pretty deep but not bleeding what the heck?!? The piece she ate was mostly meat how come her tooth chipped so easy? I didn't want to have to start grinding the meat as I would like to save on getting her dental during spay if the raw would clean them

Anyone else's chis get chipped teeth from raw bones?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
hmmm..... what else does she chew on? Sometimes slab fractures occur over time chewing on things (rocks, cage bars, rawhide or smoked bones, or weight bearing raw bones) and then they are weakened. The damage could have occurred a long time ago and the turkey neck was the catalyst.

Is she a really vigorous chewer? There's no way that Brody could eat a turkey neck. He couldn't even begin to get through one.

If I had to guess, I'd say that she had prior damage, a hairline crack that wasn't noticeable, and vigorous chewing on the turkey neck snapped it off. As for the gum splitting? I have NO idea! She must be a really hard chewer!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She will not chew anything no chewie treats no rawhide etc she will not eat chewys at all the only thing she's ever eaten is raw chicken I have fed it partially frozen before and I was holding it so she wouldn't run away and she chomped my finger so hard 3 weeks ago and it's still bruised I fainted at the sink it was so bad I probably needed stitches lol it bled for 2 days non stop Definitly a hard chewer

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The neck was cut into 3's to make 3 meals she and ninja each had a piece he ate his in no time she was chomping for a good 30 mins

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
OMG - she's a beast!!! ;) Seriously, she really has tremendous jaw power. There's no way that Brody could do that. Wow. I bet that HURT!!!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Tracy little Oakley can eat a turkey neck!! Well I cut her off chunks and she eats it fine :) But I don't think the bones are hard enough to crack teeth, I bet her tooth just has been cracked and the chewing on the turkey neck made it apparent. Laurel cracked 2 teeth, 1 on a rock and 1 on a beef soup bone, but none have ever had issues w/ turkey chicken pork bones at all?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm well I just looked at the date on the finger pics and it was exactly 1 month ago as of yesterday lol it still really hurts the side hurts still like I can't use my finger for certain things still it's got a lump bad lesson learned lol never hold the meat! I wonder if it chipped from the partially frozen drumstick bone? I thawed it but not all the way bc I have gulpers that's what she was chomping when she got my finger lol I'm not entirely sure when it was chipped the chip is very minor but the gum being cut at the same tooth is pretty deep the skins still attached and the cut is clean I'm assuming was from the neck she hasn't had raw for a week at least and she didn't get bone last time I was so impressed with the necks too because it took longer for them to eat it making it better for cleaning the teeth poo!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts