Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :)
This is my first time posting, however I've been reading for months !
A little less than 2 weeks ago I finally got the courage to start my 2 chihuahuas (Joey and Coco) on a raw diet. I decided I would start with the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw before going all out lol. They took to it very well :)

A few days ago I realized Joey was shedding ALOT more than usual. He wasn't a big shedder before. He had a nice thick coat.
Today I decided to brush him to get the dead hair off and I'm shocked. So much came out. The hair on his back is VERY thin and now his skin is flaky.

He doesn't have allergies (that I know of). I really hate to take him off the raw because the benefits I've noticed already are amazing. He used to be a very lethargic dog, and now he has SO much energy. But I obviously can't have him going bald.

Has this happened to anyone?!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I haven't seen it happen personally, but I have heard of it happening to a few others. What variety of Nature's Instinct is he on? If it is chicken or turkey, I'd switch him to a red meat right away. Not sure what they have... beef? Lamb? Venison? Pork? Any of those.

Some new raw feeders talk about a "de-toxing" period that their dogs go through. They can get greasy fur, lose fur, dandruff, etc. Supposedly it is the skin/coat and body going through a detoxification and that manifests through coat/skin. Once the old hair is gone, a new healthy coat grows in and is very luxurious and full. That is second hand information though, I haven't seen that happen myself.

I would give him a warm bath and really scrub him and massage that skin and get all of that dead skin/coat out. Use a high quality shampoo and conditioner. I'd also add in some coconut oil. You can use it topically as well as orally.

Let us know how he is doing! I will be following this thread. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding so quickly!

For the first week he was eating just chicken, but recently I tried one meal of lamb and one beef. Could it be because I introduced too many?

I just gave him a bath and used coconut oil on him. Thanks for the advice !
I was worried giving him a bath would make him bald sooner, but I guess if they are going to fall out it will happen no matter what.

I will keep you updated. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I asked about the chicken because I know a gal who put her dogs on the chicken variety only and her dogs started losing hair and condition and got greasy hair coats. As soon as she switched it up to beef and lamb, the new hair growth started and they had beautiful skin/coats. Apparently the chicken based variety just didn't have enough of what they needed and it showed in their skin. I always advise people to feed red meats as often as possible. They are more nutrient rich/dense than birds.

Yes, its best to just get that old coat out and then keep him conditioned with the coconut oil and a new fresh coat will grow in. That is the plan at least. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey !
So a little update about Joey :)
I switched him immediately to beef (Nature's Variety Instinct) which he LOVES ! The only thing is that his poop is a little soft, not necessarily diarrhea but not normal either. I'm hoping his body will adjust, right?
I also tried to give them some bones with barely any meat on them (chicken wing and pork rib) but they wanted NOTHING to do with it. Completely snubbed it.
His shedding seemed to stop for a few days after the bath and coconut oil. But yesterday I brushed sooo much out again.
I really don't want to give up on the raw because besides Joey's hair loss, it has done wonders for them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A little less than 2 weeks ago I finally got the courage to start my 2 chihuahuas (Joey and Coco) on a raw diet. I decided I would start with the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw before going all out lol. They took to it very well :)

A few days ago I realized Joey was shedding ALOT more than usual. He wasn't a big shedder before. He had a nice thick coat.
Today I decided to brush him to get the dead hair off and I'm shocked. So much came out. The hair on his back is VERY thin and now his skin is flaky.

He doesn't have allergies (that I know of). I really hate to take him off the raw because the benefits I've noticed already are amazing. He used to be a very lethargic dog, and now he has SO much energy. But I obviously can't have him going bald.

Hi
Yes. I started my Chihuahua on a raw chicken diet as soon as I brought her home as a puppy. It was great she grew well & was very energetic. The only downside was that she began to shed a lot. Dog hair was all over the house every time we swept up. We took her off the raw food and tried to replace it with Blue Buffalo small breed kibble....she hates it and is now thinner than I'd like her to be but the shedding stopped. Now however we will be putting her back on raw meat as well as cooked meat and see how that works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts