Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mimi has been on a raw diet for almost 6 weeks now.

Ever since I brought her home she has
had AWFUL breath. Like really bad, I love you but don't
kiss me breath. My vet said there were no "dental issues"
causing it and he said that he felt like it would eventually
clear up with her being on a better diet.

My question is, has anyone else had this issue improve
after switching to a raw diet and if so, about how long
did it take to improve ?

Tracy - do you know of anything I can do to help
improve her breath ? I'm nervous about buying the doggie
mint products.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Try her on bigger, more complicated pieces that she has to really sink her teeth into and work at... pork or beef ribs or pork neck, or a meaty chicken back comes to mind.

You can also start a dental routine. Some dogs do need it in addition to meaty bones, especially if they are genetically inclined to tartar and poor dentition. Then all the raw in the world won't clear up the teeth.

I use Petzlife gel. Some people don't like it because it contains alcohol. I brush Brody's teeth with it once a week as maintenance. If I was just starting out Mimi, I'd brush her teeth every day. Then go to every other day, then every third and so on until you get to a weekly maintenance brushing. You can get the kind you just spray on, but I don't think it works as well as vigorous brushing. You can also keep the toothbrush soaking in hydrogen peroxide. That helps to clean up under the gums and keep the mouth healthy as well. I would NOT use any denta treats, greenies, etc.

I bet if you add tooth brushing to your raw regimen you will see her breath improve drastically. :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Tracy, you are always a fountain of knowledge
and I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond! :love7:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thank you Tracy, you are always a fountain of knowledge
and I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond! :love7:
Awwwww you are so welcome! You've hit on one of my favorite subjects that I just love to talk about. :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally tracked down a meat store that has whole rabbit and goat meat.

However....both of these were more expensive per pound than
BEEF. :shock: :confused: Not what I expected to say the least.

However the owner didn't flinch when I asked if he could try ordering
Beef hearts, and lungs like my normal supermarket guy did! ;)

I started Mimi on a daily brush like you suggested Tracy and
I got some different cuts for her to work on.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Great! Keep up the good work!

If possible, you could network with farmers or even 4-H kids on finding goats/lamb/rabbit or other novel meats. Or see if anyone has meats for sale on craigslist. There's a carnivore feed supplier list on yahoo groups also that is good for finding stuff in your area.

If you want, you could order from a place like hare-today.com. She has some great meats at good prices. The shipping is the killer, but you can experiment with different combinations and weights in order to get the most in the box for the cheapest shipping charge. Also check with hunters and see if you can get venison or other game meats.

Let neighbors/family know that you are willing to take their freezer burned meats as food for your dog! There's lots of ways to find different meat sources. I love the ethnic markets.... lots of great organs and meats there and usually reasonably priced.

I'm pretty sure that Florida would also have a co-op where a bunch of raw feeders get together and buy in bulk for cheaper prices. The carnivore feed supplier list might have a lead on that. Or check out these groups for leads ...
DogAware.com: Raw Dog Food Co-ops and Local Groups

·
Registered
946 Posts
I finally tracked down a meat store that has whole rabbit and goat meat.

However....both of these were more expensive per pound than
BEEF. :shock: :confused: Not what I expected to say the least.

However the owner didn't flinch when I asked if he could try ordering
Beef hearts, and lungs like my normal supermarket guy did! ;)

I started Mimi on a daily brush like you suggested Tracy and
I got some different cuts for her to work on.
Hi Christa! Where in FL are you? I am in the Keys but my hubby is in the Lakeland area. So we are back and forth. We have raw fed for years! It is crazy how much goat is compared to beef! I am lucky that I have friends who hunt and give me venison!!:D I have never tried for rabbit.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Christa! Where in FL are you? I am in the Keys but my hubby is in the Lakeland area. So we are back and forth. We have raw fed for years! It is crazy how much goat is compared to beef! I am lucky that I have friends who hunt and give me venison!!:D I have never tried for rabbit.
Hi Mel - That is so ironic, I actually live in Lakeland.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Teeth all brushed AND ears cleaned tonight equals
one unhappy dog!

Here she is ignoring me and pouting :tongue5:

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is soo cute! She reminds me of my Penelope who also pouts and gets mad when I try to brush her teeth or trim her nails ( she will actually leave the room I'm in, go to another room and sit with her back facing the door). Pee Wee doesn't pout, he takes it all in stride! Anyway, I was having the same problem with my two. Even though I feed them chicken wings 3 x's a week and they have tons of nylabones and other chew toys, they had bad breath and some tarter around the gum line. So I realized that just giving them bones was not enough. So now, this is my second week brushing their teeth every day with Tropiclean fresh breath gel and then spraying Petzlife in their mouths before bedtime. I already see a difference! I don't know about the Tropiclean because one of the ingredients is "natural cleanser" and I like products that list exactly what's in it. I feel like it does work though but I think I'm going to order the Petzlife gel instead. I think I'm going to continue brushing their teeth every day for a month, gauge the improvements and then go down to maybe 2 or 3 x's a week with the Petzlife gel and the spray.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts