Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm interested in switching my chi over to a pre packaged raw diet but first have a few question:

Is feeding a pre packaged raw diet (Stella and Chewys, primal etc,) on a daily basis a adequate diet for my chi or should it be supplemented with other things?

Is a pre packaged raw diet healthy for my chis teeth or do I need to give him extra things to help keep his teeth clean and healthy?

any recommedations on a good pre packaged raw diet would be greatly appreciated.

How many medallions should I feed my 4lb chi daily?

THank you all for any info you can give me in regards to this topic
Erica

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I like Stella and Chewy's best, but Primal and Bravo are good as well. I wouldn't use Nature's Variety unless it is your only option.

Yes, it is a complete and balanced diet. NO supplements needed although you can add fish oil if you'd like.

I would start out with one medallion in the morning and one in the evening. If he starts to gain weight, cut back.

For teeth and dental health, he will still need something to chew on. You could substitute one meal of the pre-made with a bone-in part, like a cornish hen part (meat and bone), or a chicken wing, or even a small chicken leg (let him eat on it for awhile and then take it away, he won't eat the whole thing. He should be able to consume some of the bone as well but not all of it.) You can also do pork ribs, they are a good bone for teeth.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I agree with what Tracy said, I have been using Steve's Real Food Raw for dogs on ocassion and my dogs seem to like it. They do need the bones to chew on for their teeth though, the medallions/chunks etc don't really have that benefit, IMO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your reply. Do I need to feed him raw bones? where can I get raw bones that would be safe for him to chew on?

Where can I get the cornish hen part?

what is the dif. between Ziwipeak and the pre packaged raw diets?

Thank you for your help
Erica

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You get raw bones (covered with meat!) at the grocery store. Where you buy meat for yourself. Same with cornish hens. Some grocers have them in the frozen meat section.

ZiwiPeak is dried. It comes in a bag like kibble. It looks like little jerky squares. The pre-made raws are either frozen medallions or they come dried in a bag as little patties.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I also feed him the skin that is on the chicken leg? or should I buy skinless? How big of a peice of meaty bone should I feed him for one meal?

Thank you

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
yes, you feed the skin. If he has loose stools, you can remove the skin and then gradually add it back in over time. Some dogs are sensitive, some aren't.

Here's a raw calculator...

Calculate

Brody is 5 pounds and eats 2-3 ounces a day. He is 2 years old. An ounce is about the size of an ice cube. Raw dogs eat very little. It's very easy to overfeed. A typical chicken leg would be at least 3 meals for Brody, maybe 4, and it would be WAYYYYY heavy on bone. Bone acts as fiber and keeps the stools firm, so it's important to feed bone heavy meals at first until they adjust.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Have you read this sticky? It goes through most everything you need to know starting out and gives you some good links to read through also ....

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/raw-food/49576-you-considering-raw-diet.html

You can also have a look at the 'what's on your menu' thread that is there to get an idea of what we are feeding on a daily basis. Go to Food and Nutrition and then go to Raw and you will find lots of helpful posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts