Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you feed raw egg? do you gradually introduce it to dinner?
Will is give them soft stools to begin with? and will she 'break wind'? :eek:

Thanks!

LOL

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'd break an egg into a cup & put the shell into a baggy & crush it up into a powder. (I find a rolling pin works great for this) Keep the shell in a baggy & I'd probably start with 1/4 of the egg sprinkled with 1/4 of the shell and add that to one of her regular meals but smaller portion of course. She could end up with diarrhea but adding the shell in will help keep them a bit firmer.

None of my pups have ever gotten the runs with egg & shell nor have they ever gotten gas. :lol: By the time I added the egg they'd already had a lot of different raw items plus I fed it with a boney chicken meal which also helps keep poos hard(er).

Good luck...hopefully Fiddle handles the eggs ok! Also...she may not eat the raw egg right away. Mine all loved it but some don't like the texture. You could always cook it very lightly at first using nothing or maybe some coconut oil. Just no butter. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What Heather said. ha ha. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I used to feed it but stopped as I suspected an allergy.

The way I introduced it - My dad cooks a breakfast every sat morning, all the family have eggs- so I started letting him lick the little bit of egg out of the inside of an egshell, then the nect week 2 egg shells and got him used to little bits like that. Once you feed an egg meal you will need to add bone content from somewhere else. Chicken feet are usefull. I found that I had to add more than the standard 10% to get a firm poop though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd break an egg into a cup & put the shell into a baggy & crush it up into a powder. (I find a rolling pin works great for this) Keep the shell in a baggy & I'd probably start with 1/4 of the egg sprinkled with 1/4 of the shell and add that to one of her regular meals but smaller portion of course. She could end up with diarrhea but adding the shell in will help keep them a bit firmer.

None of my pups have ever gotten the runs with egg & shell nor have they ever gotten gas. :lol: By the time I added the egg they'd already had a lot of different raw items plus I fed it with a boney chicken meal which also helps keep poos hard(er).

Good luck...hopefully Fiddle handles the eggs ok! Also...she may not eat the raw egg right away. Mine all loved it but some don't like the texture. You could always cook it very lightly at first using nothing or maybe some coconut oil. Just no butter. :)
Wonderful! Thanks so much for all the info, im hoping this helps her coat/skin. She is still an "itchy dog". It's not fleas and not an allergy

im worried about the shell though.... how powdery is powder lol. do you have a photo?! that way I can just keep on crushing it untill it looks the same ?!?!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
My guys sometimes get a raw egg. It's good for their coat. I just give it to them in a bowl. lol Never had diarrhea or gas.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You can crumble up the egg shell to a powder if you want or you can let them decide if it's edible of not and just mix it up in their raw egg. Some may pick it out. Some eat it and like the crunchiness. Egg shells are easy to crumble up once they are dry. A fresh egg shell isn't. So sit it out on the ledge for awhile. Some people save all their egg shells and dry them out in a low heat oven and then powder and use it as a calcium supplement.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
As far as the itchiness goes, do you do a salmon or fish oil supplement? That helps greatly.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guys sometimes get a raw egg. It's good for their coat. I just give it to them in a bowl. lol Never had diarrhea or gas.
Really? Thank god haha I love eggs but I cant stand the smell of them raw... or in gas form lol

You can crumble up the egg shell to a powder if you want or you can let them decide if it's edible of not and just mix it up in their raw egg. Some may pick it out. Some eat it and like the crunchiness. Egg shells are easy to crumble up once they are dry. A fresh egg shell isn't. So sit it out on the ledge for awhile. Some people save all their egg shells and dry them out in a low heat oven and then powder and use it as a calcium supplement.
I gave egg a go this moning!!! :hello1::hello1: I crushed the egg as much as I could (it was fresh) and it was more like granuals than powder. I was amazed at how Not sharp it felt, Fiddle ate it all up. Now just hope it all comes out well lol

As far as the itchiness goes, do you do a salmon or fish oil supplement? That helps greatly.
No I hadnt tried that. Im so lost with her itchyness at the moment. I have turned my house upside down in cleaning twice because I thought it could be flea's, but I am on track with her flea treatments and I havent found one on her?

So then I assumed Allergies again, but she isnt all that red around the mouth like last time. And the only spot that is sort of red/pink is her chest, and its not that prominent and thats not really where she scratches.....

can you suggest a particular brand/product for the fish oil?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm not sure what fish oils you have available in Australia? You could just go to the pharmacy and get fish oil for people in a capsule form. Then poke it with a knife or pin and squeeze out the fish oil onto her food a couple times a week. I bet you'll notice a nice difference in her skin/coat.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure what fish oils you have available in Australia? You could just go to the pharmacy and get fish oil for people in a capsule form. Then poke it with a knife or pin and squeeze out the fish oil onto her food a couple times a week. I bet you'll notice a nice difference in her skin/coat.
Really! lol thats simple as. I will definately do that.

Man, the things I learn on here. My OH makes me feel silly for being a part of a forum for dogs. But he shuts up real quick when stuff I learn helps me out! lol

Like this, and like spotting allergies and stuff. Its so good :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yeah, I actually like using the human fish oil as it's usually cheaper than the dog stuff and the quality control is tighter! A good deal all around. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
We tried a raw egg today but Zippy didn't want anything to do with it. This really shouldn’t have surprised me much as he also won’t eat anything with any sort of gravy on it. After he turned up his nose, I popped the egg (plus shell) into the microwave for 20 seconds until it got really fluffy and then gave that to him. The cooked egg he happily gobbled right up. I'd guess that he ate about 1/2 the egg and about 1/3 of the shell altogether.

I am wondering, though, if cooking the egg negates any benefit that he is supposed to get out of it (other than enjoyment of course). Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
We tried a raw egg today but Zippy didn't want anything to do with it. This really shouldn’t have surprised me much as he also won’t eat anything with any sort of gravy on it. After he turned up his nose, I popped the egg (plus shell) into the microwave for 20 seconds until it got really fluffy and then gave that to him. The cooked egg he happily gobbled right up. I'd guess that he ate about 1/2 the egg and about 1/3 of the shell altogether.

I am wondering, though, if cooking the egg negates any benefit that he is supposed to get out of it (other than enjoyment of course). Any ideas?
I think that cooking does change the proteins, but I don't think it changes it greatly. Here's a good site that will explain the nutritional differences in foods. You can compare a raw egg to a cooked one and look at the nutrients and how cooking changes them .....

Comparing them side by side, I really don't see any appreciable difference at all, so if he likes his egg slightly cooked, then cook it!

A large raw egg -
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, raw, fresh

A cooked egg -
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, cooked, hard-boiled

1 - 15 of 15 Posts