Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a huge fire a little bit away from us tonight, they have evacuated over 1200 homes so far and the fire is rapidly growing. So it got me to thinking, what would I do if I had to evacuate and stay away from my home for a day or two? What would I feed my dogs? They are eating strictly raw right now, so if I'm not sure what would be available, is it a good idea to get some high end kibble or dehydrated raw or something for emergencies, and evacuations? I've never had to evacuate but this fire has gotten me thinking and I don't want to be caught unprepared. It would have to be something that could be easily fed without power/water etc if necessary.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Oh how worrying, I don't have any real great advice for you because I have never been in that situation before, but be safe all of you! If you do have to evacuate let us know!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do, it's in/on the mountains just west of us, I don't think it will come this way but the wind isn't helping matters any. I do have some of Zoey's old kibble in vacuum packed bags so if worse comes to worse and we have to evacuate I can grab those...but most likely we would go to my dad's house who is on the other side of the valley (30 minutes away), so I could take some raw with us.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I think having a dehydrated raw food always on hand is important for emergencies, vacations, boarding, forgetting to thaw, etc... I feed raw, but I also give Ziwi Peak about 4 meals a week. It's a good balance for me and I like knowing that in a pinch I can feed my crew, and not have to worry about upset tummies since they already eat Ziwi Peak. :)
I hope everyone is okay, and that you won't be evacuated.

·
Registered
923 Posts
We are hardcore raw feeders, but -we keep canned and dry ZiwiPeak in the house at all times. Meds, emergencies, etc. All things having dried food on hand for is great. The other option is just picking food up daily at a supermarket.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree, ZiwiPeak is great to keep on hand, just buy a small bag and throw it in the freezer. It will keep forever that way. Or get some dehydrated patties, I like Stella and Chewy's. Wysong Archetype is a good one too. Throw in a couple of cans of dog food and there ya go. You've got food to get you through a crisis.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yep, I was going to say ZiwiPeak! We switched from raw to ZiwiPeak "cold turkey" with no ill effects on the tummy. It's basically the same thing in bag form. :)

BTW, I'm sorry to hear about the fire. I hope they're able to get it under control soon!! Stay safe!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have Ziwipeak in case we get a hurricane. We are in evacuation zone A (on the water) so we evacuate quite often :D Although, we've been lucky the last 2 seasons.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ziwipeak sounds like a good idea, and maybe a small stockpile of sardines and high-quality canned food? In all honestly, in an emergency like an evacuation, my dogs will probably just end up eating whatever I am for a couple of days until we get ourselves settled. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts