Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just wanted your feed back on Bijoux's next step in her raw journey.

I am soon going to start introducing her to liver while still feeding cornish hen. So far she has only been eating cornish hen bone in and is absolutely loving her new raw diet.

I have noticed that now she is doing the gagging thing when I am cutting up the hen before giving it to her, or even when taking the container out of the fridge. Once she has thrown up bile, I gave her some food and she was fine.

I believe she is losing weight so am upping her food intake to 3% of her body. Since she is 8 lbs and I have not found her a proper scale it is very hard to get a good weight on her except to step on our crappy human scale and get an approximate which is not all that accurate. she is getting fluffy so it is hard to see any weight loss properly. Today I picked her up and felt her spine, yet yesterday my grandmother said she felt heavier. It's a guessing game but as she is a skinny girl and a puppy I'm going to up her, I'd rather her be a bit overfed at this point in her life then under.

I am soon going to introduce liver it will be 10% of her organ diet just for now. I know it should be 5% but I want introduce her slowly each day she will get .5 ounces of liver, or .25 at each meal for about 10 days. She is doing so well I really don't want to rush her.

I was able to get a bunch of turkey hearts and smelt at my grocery store for a great price. I was hoping I could get feed back on these. I know hearts should be fed as more of a muscle than organ but is it possible to feed adequate amounts to be healthy for her as an organ? It is very accessible to me and I really think she would love them.

The smelt is not head attached just meat but I really want to add some to her diet the omega 3's in the fish is something I think she is lacking at this point. I'm thinking of separating, cutting and feeding as treats.

Last but not least i've decided that her next meat will be rabbit. My grocery store sells whole rabbit (no heads ) but lungs etc so that will be great for her organ meat. Is there a reason I shouldn't be able to work that into her diet in about 10 days once she is used to the liver?

Sorry for the long post, you guys know me. I'm a worrier and just really want to get this right for her. Please don't hold back if i'm doing anything wrong let me know!

Thanks raw elders lol

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Okay I'm a little confused; why do you want to give her MORE liver than what she needs? For our dogs, we just feed 1 ounce of liver twice a week. (Our dogs get about 4 ounces a day; so that's technically "half" of one of their meals.) It's a very small amount. What I would recommend is to make sure that the day you try the liver, you also feed her a bone-in meal as the bone will help with any loose poops the organ can sometimes cause. I'm just not sure why you want to make it 10% of her diet at first if you're trying to do it slowly...? She only needs the 5%. For us it's easier to just do it twice a week with a boney meal as opposed to a small amount every day... if there's no bone to counteract I would think that might make her poops a little loose.

I'm very jealous you can get turkey hearts; we can only get chicken hearts here! They are just muscle meat and can't be substituted as organ.

For the full 10% of "organ"; 5% should be liver; and the other 5% should be a secreting organ (kidney is easiest for us to find.).

Best of luck with the smelt... my dogs wouldn't touch it. =( They are NOT fish fans at all... so we have to squirt a fish oil capsule twice a week too just for the omega 3's.

And as far as rabbit; that'll be good meat too... but again I'm pretty sure lung won't count for your organ. In addition to liver, I'd recommend kidney for the rest of your organ meat. That's all you need to worry about for organ. Kidney is relatively easier to find; you can get it in larger portions too (I have no idea how big a rabbit kidney is, but I doubt you could get more than one meal from it...)

The total prey model ratio we use is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% kidney.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I am sure Brodysmom will come on and give you a more detailed answer, but I can tell you what I know :).

I think rabbit would be fine as a second meat,just add in a tiny bit at a time. The second meat my dogs had was beef.. I just gave them a bite of beef at first and then a bit more, then we did pork the next week. I am not positive on this, but I think if she is having normal poo you can add in a little more meat and a little less bone.

I don't have a good scale either, but I could feel Lion's spine after a month or so on the raw diet, so I have upped his food. He is getting more than he technically should for his weight, but he is very active and thin. I don't think it would hurt to up Bijoux's food since she is still a puppy anyways.

Lion and Penny get really worked up when I am cutting up their food, too. I usually give them a little "appetizer" (lol) while I am cutting up the rest.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yep, I will echo what Kat said. Organs are 10% of the diet, a very important part. But you can't just feed liver and call it good. You have to have another organ for balance. Kidney is easy to find. Our walmart has it, or you can ask them to order it for you. Ethnic markets often have a great supply of organ.

Yes, feed to proper body condition. If she is thin, feed more. If she is getting chunky - cut back. You don't have to feed the exact same amount every day. Many chi's require more than the 2% of their body weight to keep weight on. Their metabolisms are high as are their energy levels.

Turkey hearts are great for variety! Feed away! But they don't count as organ. Smelt is great too. I hope she likes them. Brody isn't a big fish fan. When I feed sardines, I have to mix it with tripe to get him to eat it. Even so, he is supplemented with fish oil 3 times a week.

Rabbit would be fine as your next protein. Try to get all the organs you can, if available. Lungs are good. Rabbit is very lean, so it's OK to use it in your rotation, but be sure and add in some red meats once you get going. Pork, beef, and then whatever else you can get your hands on. Venison is great as are any wild meats. Goats, sheep, lamb ... all good.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I don't have much to add other than definitely up her food! Its REALLY hard for some puppies to gain weight on raw so if you have troubles you could add in green tripe. But for now definitely increase! When Marley was growing he required ridiculous amounts of food. He was 5.5lbs from 5mo to about a year. Got looking pretty skinny & he was eating 6+oz of food a day! He finally leveled out at about 13mo & I could cut him back. At 2yo he weighs just over 6lbs & eats about 4oz a day...sometimes a bit more.

Good luck! You're doing great! :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just wanted to add a quick reminder: in the photo, it looks like Bijoux is still a puppy and I think you mention that she's a pup, still, in your first post. Remember that when feeding raw, you are feeding approximately 2-3% of her ideal adult weight, not her current puppy weight. Also, it seems to me that a lot of the small breeds end up doing best getting around 3-5% body weight whereas the mid-sized and larger dogs fall more reliably in the 2-3% range. But, again, these are just good places to start. Just like you're doing, keep monitoring Bijoux's weight and body shape. That will tell you best if she needs to be eating more or less.

Regarding organs, when it comes to raw feeding, 'organs' really only means 'secreting organs'. Brain, kidney, liver, spleen, pancreas, reproductive organs, eyeballs can all count as organs (though as others have said, liver and kidney tend to be the easiest ones to find). Heart, lung, trachea, tongue, tripe, gizzards, stomach, intestines all count as 'meat'. They are great to feed, but they cannot replace organs because they don't offer the same minerals and vitamins as secreting organs, so if you count them as part of your 10% organs, over time (by which I mean weeks and months, not days), it can lead to mineral and vitamin deficiencies.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice. I am going to feed Bijoux 5% of her diet in liver for her first oran starting on saturday, i am going to start slow and offer it at one meal a day for a bit just to let her tummy adjust just in case.

I am going to have to find kidneys, shocking in my area that finding giblets has been hard I really didn't think it would be. But I can just can call my local butcher worst comes to worst.

I upped her to 4 ounces of meat a day. That really seems to be stopping her gagging and we will see if that's enough for her. she goes in for her spay on the 18th I can get a accurate weight then.

Thanks again everyone

·
Banned
177 Posts
I wouldn't add liver in yet. Organs are the last thing you add to the diet when in transition. You need to get her use yo a whole host of different meats before starting her on organs. Rushing just causes problems.

5% of her current body weight probably won't be enough. In puppies you feed 2-3% of their ADULT body weight. If she is 8lb at 6ish months I'd feed her on being a 10-12Lb adult. If she gets fat take away if she is too skinny add more.

I have a 3lb nearly 6 month old puppy I feed her as a 5lb adult.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.