Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

Note: Chewy is 1 years old! 6 lb. Neutered male.

I'm new and just started Chewy on a raw diet. He's been eating just chicken drumstick meat with some bone on occasion. It's been 1.5 weeks and he's been doing fine. I've just noticed his pooping/peeing frequency has decreased. Is that because the raw food is 100% absorbed so it takes longer to digest?

Also, Chewy is quite an eater. He's a bigger/more muscular chi at 6 lbs. He'll eat anything and everything. He always begs for food when humans eat and it's incredibly annoying/impossible to train him out of it. He always comes running when the fridge door opens. He's even eaten non edible items...

Anyway, I started him off on 2 oz of meat, which I weighed on a food scale, and he ate it up so fast! I think he seems most satisfied at around 4-6 oz of food, but that is so much more than the online calculated suggests. So is it normal for dogs to continue to beg for food even though their nutritional needs are fulfilled? I mean humans do it, so why can't dogs?

And I'd really like to not over feed him (pass 3 oz a day) because I don't want him to have health issues. However, how do I tell if he is truly hungry? Or if he actually needs 4-6 oz instead of 2-3?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I started Cricket on a raw diet about three weeks ago. And she only poops once a day. So that's normal. She is 3lbs and the recommended feeding for her is less than an oz a day, but I noticed she was still hungry. I feed her about 1 to 2oz a day, and she is satisfied with that. Every other day I feed sweet potatoes to her too. She loves those. I've also heard you can feed them green beans. It won't put any weight on the dog just give them something extra to chew on. I'm not sure if Cricket would eat them or not, but yours might since he eats anything.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Decreased peeing is totally normal on the raw diet. I rarely see Brody drink from the water dish. He gets most of his moisture from the meats he eats. He still pees every 4 hours or so. He usually poops once a day, sometimes twice and it is very small.

Little dogs sometimes need more than the raw calculator suggests. It is a good starting point. Brody typically eats 4-5 ounces a day, sometimes a little more - sometimes less. You might want to increase your dog's portion up a little.

Go by body condition. If he looks ribby, feed more. If he looks pudgy, feed less. The calculator is a good guide, but most toy dogs need more.

More complicated meats may keep him satisfied longer. Once you transition to other proteins, you can try beef tongue or cheek meat. It's tough and chewy and will take him longer to eat. Also beef or pork ribs or pork necks. Anything that takes some working to get the meat off would be good for him. Chicken is lean so it may not be as satisfying. Once you add in fattier meats (pork and beef, perhaps lamb), he should feel more satisfied.

Of course some dogs can be horribly obese and fed huge amounts and still be searching for more. So that is not necessarily a sign that he is hungry.

Kongs are good for dogs that eat quickly and look for more. You can stuff a kong with his meals and he has to work to get it out, just a bit at a time. That can slow him down and keep him busy. Some people use ground beef mixed with a raw egg and stuff the kong and freeze. Takes a long time for it to thaw and him to work that out of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts