Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a special needs dog that is up for adoption who has urinary and fecal incontinence because of a birth defect. She has been diagnosed with congenital malformation of the lumbosacral spine which causes her to have no control over her going potty. She has no idea when she is going potty so she cannot control it and will have to wear diapers for the rest of her life.

The rescue that is taking care of her says that she is being fed a bland diet 3 times a day to help with keeping her from pooping all the time. They said they give her dry kibble or chicken and rice (which I believe is cooked) when she is having poo issues. I believe that a raw diet would benefit her greatly but I wanted to get some opinions from people here. Also I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with owning a dog with incontinence or spinal issues.

She is a boston terrier so sorry for posting here but this is the only dog-related forum I trust. She only weighs 3 pounds at 6 months so she is basically a chihuahua. lol Thanks for the help. And I will be contacting the rescue to see if she has or will have any other health issues.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awwww poor sweet thing. You are sweet for considering this special needs girl.

Wow, pooping 3 times a day is a LOT! Especially for a 3 pound dog. Sounds like she is pooping out much of what she takes in, which would make sense if she's being fed a bunch of carbs (rice).

I personally believe that a raw diet is beneficial for 99.9% of ALL dogs. It is what they are made to eat. It is the perfect diet for them. Even more so if they are sickly or have problems. It sounds like a raw diet would be a great solution for this dog. I'd give it a go. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I don't know if she is pooing three times a day. They just said that's how many times they feed her.

I would love to adopt her and give her a better life. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts