Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching on the net and can't seem to find any reliable information about the effects raw hide bones have on our small pets. I've heard many horror stories from friends and on the net. In addition to nutritional/medical information about the effects of the rawhide bones, I'm also looking for good alternatives, anyone know of any? It'd be greatly appreciated anything ya'll can do to help me. Thanks so much and our pups, Beat Box and Face, Thank ya too! :wave:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
rawhides are not digestible and can cause intestinal blockages and they pose a choking hazard. a good alternative would be these things called Bully Springs made by Red Barn. It's a sprial, smoked tendon and is totally digestible. Still ANY chewie poses a choking hazard, so you want to keep an eye on your dog when they have any. Bully Springs are the only chewie I'll give to Chico after learning how harmful rawhides are.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Greenies are a good alternative to rawhide, although some worry about the choking hazards too. I give my guy a Greenie a day and he has never had problems with them though. You can find them at Petsmart and Petco near the denta bones.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Give them raw ox tail bones or raw chicken wings..it's better for them then rawhide. Mine love ox tail and only tolerate chicken wings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:roll: Hmmm, I had heard that greenies can be just as bad as raw hides. I can't corroborate this, but I heard of an autopsy that was done on a dog and they found lots of undigested greenie's in his tummy. Carrots sounds like a good idea, but mine will chew thru a carrot in probably under 6o sec's flat. I need something that's gonna last them awhile. Where do you find Bully Springs?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
bstrobes said:
:roll: Hmmm, I had heard that greenies can be just as bad as raw hides. I can't corroborate this, but I heard of an autopsy that was done on a dog and they found lots of undigested greenie's in his tummy. Carrots sounds like a good idea, but mine will chew thru a carrot in probably under 6o sec's flat. I need something that's gonna last them awhile. Where do you find Bully Springs?
The only things I have seen about Greenies on the web are that they are full of empty calories. That makes sense since Cooper can't lose weight, even though he's on a "restricted" diet yet still gets one Greenie a day.

Also, the problems associated with dogs getting them lodged in their throats and internal organs are partly the Greenies' fault and partly the dogs not wanting to chew. "Gulpers" shouldn't have them because of that.

Just wanted to put my two cents in... Petsmart carries the Red Barn products , so does Petco. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
my lola loves the green nylabones...they make her breath smell better and she stays out of my socks and underwear (lol, they're sick little dogs, arent' they?) she's quite the little chewer. she likes the green ones better than the meat flavored ones! yessss!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts