Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here fed raw long-term (i.e. for the entire life of their dog)? I'm just a little unsure about the long term value of feeding this way.. can it lead to health issues/deficiencies as the anti-raw people like to say it does?

Corona was my first dog and I have been off and on with raw for her (for various reasons).. she is 4 years old and hasn't had any serious health issues to date *knock on wood*.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
A good friend of mine has faw fed her dogs for the past 30 years - and her mother has been feeding raw for the past 50 years! Their dogs often live until 20+ and are far healthier than other dogs in the breed who are kibble fed. They literally feed Meat, Bone, Organ and the occasional chicken egg - Nothing else whatsoever.

Kibble feeders dont tend to have real information on raw feeding - Vets say its bad and they repeat the comments! I dont pay any attention to those who say that a raw diet isnt complete and will cause nutritional deficiancys because Ive seen otherwise!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with Nat! :)

I have been raw feeding Brody for almost 3 years. He is thriving. I wish I had known about raw feeding years ago for our other dogs. Fresh is best. Nature's way is best. That is good enough for me.

And don't let the commercial foods with their billions of dollars of revenue and marketing gimmicks convince you otherwise. It's not complicated. It's not unbalanced. You don't need to be a scientist to feed your dog. If you can feed your family, you can certainly feed your dog. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ditto to Tracy and Nat...I have been feeding RAW for the life of my Border Collie who is now approaching 13 and the picture of health! My chi's are all young, but were switched the day they moved in and are doing great. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
question about raw feeding

:hello1:im totally inexperienced on the whole raw issue so i have a question.plz dont jump on me:( when i was growing up every1 always said that chicken bones,rib bones,etc can cause a pet to choke.actually,years ago my kitten got into the garbage n choked on a chicken bone so im wondering how you raw feeders deal w/that issue.:D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
COOKED chicken bones are dangerous - Well actually cooked bones in general are! Cooked bones are hard and splinter, raw bones are soft and flexible, and dont splinter when broken. Try it yourself - Try bending/breaking a cooked chicken bone, then try a raw chicken bone - They are totally different :)

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
:hello1:im totally inexperienced on the whole raw issue so i have a question.plz dont jump on me:( when i was growing up every1 always said that chicken bones,rib bones,etc can cause a pet to choke.actually,years ago my kitten got into the garbage n choked on a chicken bone so im wondering how you raw feeders deal w/that issue.:D
I just fed my chis their first raw meal, and I was worried about the bones too! However, they munched right through them, no problem. Cooked bones are dangerous because they splinter.

·
Registered
370 Posts
:hello1:now that u pointed it out that was common sense n i never even thought of it:notworthy:is this something people r doing more n more?i worked as a vet tech for years n didnt really hear 2 much about it but this was a long time ago.i guess it makes sense-like a wolf or lion getting all their needs from a kill.i have to check it out alittle more but it seems like a good idea.can u supplement kibble w/raw?even if you didnt change to raw- bones sound like a good treat-the dogs would love it.i kno that brody is raw fed.ive never even talked 2 his mom but i c it on his siggy.i guess ill think about it.:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

·
Registered
370 Posts
:hello1:mad:missy r-i was reading this morn about u switching over.did u find a place 2 get stuff like kidneys?ur babies mustve had a ball.i kno brodys coat n teeth look so healthy(he just comes to mind cuz of his siggy).im kinda on the fence rite now.:confused::D:confused:

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
:hello1:mad:missy r-i was reading this morn about u switching over.did u find a place 2 get stuff like kidneys?ur babies mustve had a ball.i kno brodys coat n teeth look so healthy(he just comes to mind cuz of his siggy).im kinda on the fence rite now.:confused::D:confused:
Well I found chicken liver at Winco (just a regular grocery store). Brodysmom said you can get other organs at WalMart or ethnic stores. They don't need organs for a month or so. Penny and Lion loved their first raw meal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts