Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok usually we don't do two full on raw meals per day but I have the meat sitting in the fridge and don't want to let it go to waste...

For Breakfast, Oakley has .9oz chicken wing, Bryco had 1.0 oz chicken wing, Laurel and Trigger both had a drummette each, around 1.4 oz a piece. I gave them all a squirt of salmon oil as well.

What I have in the fridge is chicken breast, was going to give Oakley & Bryco 1.0 and 1.5 oz respectively, and Trigger 1.5 oz and Laurel 2.5 oz. Trigger has gotten quite pudgy so on vet's orders I am to cut his food back a bit. I was also going to go pick up some sort of organ and give just the tiniest fingernail sized bit with their dinner but is that a bad idea as its not a bone-in meal?

They all also had 1 tablespoon of yogurt with probiotic powder mixed into it and their salmon oil was with that. 2-3 times a week they get this little concoction.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Do they not have problem with chicken at all? I'd be a little hesitant about giving an all meat meal...ESPECIALLY if you're going to give organ for the first time. You'll want to add that in with a very boney meal IMO. If they don't have an issue with chicken at all I'd go a head & just give them the chicken breast since they had a good bit of bone this morning. But I'd definitely hold on the organ until you can feed it WITH a very boney meal. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, sounds good. No they have enough chicken, 4ish times a week it doesn't phase them...they get raw ground turkey w/ all their THK, and they get bison or rabbit or beef pre-made raws, they've had bone out chicken 2x now and done fine but I won't add the organ in til its with loads of bone lol. The reason I am not going to give a 2nd bone in meal in one day is that I've noticed is way too much bone for them.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yep, then just the breasts for the p.m. meal sounds perfect for them. I thought you'd been feeding them chicken regularly for quite. ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They really seem to handle the raw meat fine. I don't have any gulpers and they all chew well, so I can't complain. I love the pre-mades but slapping a chunk of raw chicken in a bowl isn't much harder, I just have to weigh it.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
If yes have ok tummies u could prob do 1 out of 3 meals bone in and give organ with that meal I give one out if 3 boney mealsdepending on what meat they have as some make their stools firmer!!

Give the organ frozen they seem not as bothered by the texture as it's slimey

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The majority of Zoey's meals are boneless. She has 2-3 bone in meals per week and that's a good ratio for her. It really depends on the dog some might have issues with it, some won't.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yep, this is a case of know your dogs. :) You will learn which ones need more bone and which can do just fine with several boneless meals in a row. Each dog is a little different. Brody does fine with several boneless meals and then a bone-in one, like Heather's Zoey. Some dogs need a little bit of bone with each meal. It just depends on the dog. Luckily it's easy to correct.... if they are a little constipated, make the next meal all meat. If they are loose - add in bone next time.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm so here is what I learned, Oakley and Trigger were 100% fine w/ the boneless following the bone in, Bryco and Laurel will still need a bit more bone for the time being :)

I guess its to be expected that they will handle it differently :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts