Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had another go tonight at 'proper' raw feeding and finally....it was successful!!:D
I tried them on chicken wings (which come in 3 sections) and gave the 2 larger meaty top sections to Hannah, as she is twice the size!!LOL. Adam and Heidi had the 2 bottom sections each.
Well, Hannah nommed hers down like a pro with no help at all. Heidi just needed me to hold her wing as she chewed her way down (the last inch was too much so hannah got it!!) But Adam???
Oh, I knew he was my special boy but I didnt realiese how 'special'!!:rolleyes: It took us nearly 40 mins for him to eat 1 section of wing!! He cant seem to use his teeth properly and rather then crunch through with his back teeth he spent most of his time grabbing and pulling tiny pieces off with his front teeth. We will persevere though and Im betting that with practice he will get better.

So Im now going to alternate their raw minces with raw solid items (Ive bought chicken wings, turkey necks, beef chunks, chicken livers, and ox tripe). Any other suggestions for food to try would be great though!!;)
The Chi's looked worn out at the end! Not just the physical effort of crunching and chewing their food but also the mental effort of trying to work out how to eat it..:D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yay!!! Sounds like it went well!!

Yes, one of the many benefits is the satisfaction and workout they get from eating their food. :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If you are feeding raw, you need other 'stuff' to make it a balanced diet! I'm sure the people on this board will steer you right! Sue

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If you are feeding raw, you need other 'stuff' to make it a balanced diet! I'm sure the people on this board will steer you right! Sue
A balanced raw diet consists of mostly meat (80%), some bones (10%), and a smidge of organs (5% liver and 5% other organ such as kidney, brain, spleen, thymus, reproductive organs). This ratio is balanced over time, you don't have to feed the 80/10/10 on a daily basis. For example, I do organs as a meal on the weekend. Just easier for me to remember and the teensy bit they require every day was too much of a pain to parcel out.

No veggies, no dairy, no fruit is required. The only supplement you really need is fish oil, which is depleted in factory farmed meats. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts