Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda a weird question but how would a raw stalk of sugar cane be (cut up into smaller sticks of course) be as a dog treat??

They sell it for 99cents for a 3 foot stalk.

I'm always looking to add variety; and I try finding treats that a.) are long lasting, yet b.) they actually will sit and chew it for like an hour but can completely consume it in that time; not something they just will get bored with like typical rawhides. Sugar cane just seems like its something durable and obviously better than the refined stuff. Just a thought.. I'm sure it doesn't have any actual nutritional value but as long as it's not actually detrimental I figured it might be worth it if they enjoy it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
My concern would be that it is like a big piece of wood, right? So it could splinter? And wood isn't digestible, so it would have to pass through and I've heard of sticks causing impactions and perforations. They don't digest like bones/meat. I would pass.

By the way, LOVE your siggy! :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Because I was interested to know the answer I did a little googling and I see where sugarcane is regularly fed to animals/livestock with and as supplement to their diets - it's only about 50% nutrient so yeah Tracy is right there is a substantial amount of "stuff" leftover and our little ones can't pass it like livestock can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
not only is there indigestible stuff in a sugar cane stick, the sugar itself is no good for dogs. It would contribute to tooth decay and glucose issues. I dont think it would be a good idea. Try bully sticks. Its different from raw hide and they truly last a while. I dont know if itd keep your dogs attention for an hour but then again, not much could keep a dogs attention for an hour.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! We ended up buying a stalk for ourselves (as in us people, not the dogs), and after actually seeing it close up I wouldn't trust the dogs with it. The outer edging is kind of 'wood like' but what I thought was weird is how fiber-y it is. It peels almost like celery does into little strands... for some reason I thought it was more solid but I guess not! Oh well, at least WE have use for it lol.
And thanks for the siggy compliment ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts