Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i used to give chico the dingo rawhides with the meat in the middle. then i found out how bad they were for him. if your chi is anything like chico, he loves his chewies...i'd suggest getting your chi a Red Barn brand chewie called a Bully Spring. They are sprial looking smoked tendons that are very healthy and totally digestible. They sell them at Petco, just ask soemone where they are located in the store. Chico just LOVES thrm and they're a great alternative to rawhides.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Try Greenies too. They're softer than rawhides and better on puppy teeth. I posted about them in the products section and lots of people said their dogs didn't like them (lots of others did) but mine thinks he won the lottery every time I pull one out for him.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I give Stewart something called Chew-Eeez...they are made by Purina. They are not rawhide but they are chewable beef product - my vet gave them to me first and Stewart takes forever to chew them. I normally let him lick off the beef basting and replace the chew-eez every few days.

I also buy cow hoofs at Petsmart - they are actual cow hoofs that are sanitized and made for chewing. Both dogs love them...one warning though, when they first start chewing them they will stink but it goes away.

I have also bought something called piggles...they are synthetic pig ears, since real pig ears aren't good for dogs. Both dogs love them as well...goes over very well and they are usually about $.70 a piece here in my area.

My JRT loves to chew so we knew what to give Stewart based on what Ernie would go after.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had two separate sources tell me real pig ears were not good for dogs...I don't remember the reasons they were telling me this but when we were looking for chew treats we were told to stay clear of pig ears and rawhide.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
all i'm aware of with pig ears is that you have to wash your hands after handling them. i've heard both sides of the story they are ok to give and they are not.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts