Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people give small dogs rawhide chews and never have a problem. But I just want to give everyone a gentle caution.

My cousin's best friend gave her small chi some rawhide to chew. She got it stuck in her throat. She had to go to the vet and have an endoscopic procedure of some sort done along with x-rays and follow up visits. It ended up costing her about a thousand dollars I'm told. Now, the vet is concerned that she may have permanent scaring on her esophagus and not be able to swallow correctly. He says he can not operate on the esophagus. At this point everyone is just sorta holding their breath and hoping that she heals properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
I am sorry your friend had to learn the hard way.... I am so glad that I asked my vet about them when I first got Gadget... now I never have to worry about that...

Hope your friends chi will be ok and have no long time problems... We will keep them in our thoughts and prayers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Good advice. I learned alot about this when we had our Dalmation, Max.
He LOVED the stuff, but after I read of the dangers involved, he got Nylabones ONLY. Max died of cancer when he was 7. He was a great dog. :cry:

Anyway...rawhide, bones, pigs ears, all of these can splinter. Not only that, after your dog has been chewing on them for awhile, they get slimey and sticky, and these sticky pieces can get caught in your dogs throats, causing them to choke, or even in their intestines, causing a stomach blockage. Totally not worth the risk, IMO.

Happy, healing thoughts to your cousin's friend's dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,807 Posts
When you consider all the hazards that can befall our furry friends... just scares me so much to think about it. I heard such a horrible story not long ago. A woman had a pomeranian who grabbed a piece of hard candy that had fallen on the floor. The woman rushed toward him to get him to spit it out, he got scared and the candy got stuck in his throat. She rushed him to the vet's but it was too late to save him. All she could think of was, if she hadn't tried to get the candy away from him, he would have dropped it on his own. When the woman told me this story I cried, knowing how I'd feel if I thought I had caused my baby's death. It truly would be more than I could bear. I know that's a gruesome story and I don't want to cause any needless worry. Let's just all be even more careful than normal.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top