Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ALWAYS given my dog's rawhide bones and toys. For about the last 35 years so has my mother in law. I was aware of the dangers, but figured it was such a small chance, and I supervised them. So did my mother in law.
Today she lost her 10 year old mini shcnauzer to a rawhide blockage.
I will never give rawhide again. EVER
I have been giving it to my dogs for 15 years. Could I go another 15 and never have a problem? Maybe. Shoot, probably...Will I chance it NO WAY. My mother in law is so upset she can't even talk to me.

I just threw away 3 rawhide bones, I'm going to the store in a couple of hours to buy new chew toys.

Rest in Peace Tyson

Love Stacy

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i am very sorry for your loss.. and although a lot of people know of the dangers, we still let our dogs have it i am guilty of it too. but i think we should remind people what it can do. i am sorry for your loss, and i will not use rawhide any more, i am so sorry for your loss, i know what it is like to lose a pet in an instant, unexpectadly, and i am deeply sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family,
god bless.
Roie and Scoot

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother-in-laws dog. I never knew rawhide could cause intestinal blockages. I used to give it to my Keeshond, she loved to chew and it helped clean her teeth, but for some reason I stopped giving them to her. I'm glad I did.

Now I let all the dogs have Greenies, which I don't think will cause the intestinal problem because they are supposedly digestible, but now I'm reading here about the choking issue with them. What is safe for them to chew? They don't like nylabones.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I knew that rawhides were fatty and that you weren't supposed to give them to dogs because of that, but I had no idea that they were dangerous in that way. I'm sure that Tyson will be sorely missed and my thoughts and prayers lie with those in your family and your friends that have been affected by his passing. Bless you.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your condolences.
Yes, Rachael, my mother in law is a complete wreck, and totally plagued with guilt right now. I feel so bad for her.
I told my sister in law the other day that I had a dream about Tyson, which I thought was weird since I have never had a dream about him before, and I've known him since he was a pup. Kinda creepy :shock:

Again thanks all for your blessings
Love Stacy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts