Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: walking on lead?

Do any of you have any tips for getting your babies used to walking on the lead?

I have bought a kitten harness for Lola and it fits her just great!! I have started with walking her around the house first off. To start with she hated it but I try everyday and now she follows me... but only because she knows I have treats!! :lol:
She likes to bite the lead and hold onto it which isn't too bad I guess but as of tomorrow she's allowed out and about so I'm dying to get her going but scared about how she'll react on the ground outside with all the people and cars and smells!! She has been out before but safely tucked inside my jacket!!
I don't mind carrying her but I do want her to walk down too! Also I haven't got a coat for her yet because I just can't find one small enough for her here! I'm worried she'll catch a cold because although we're coming into summer the days can still be chilly here!!!
Lucie & Lola 8)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
your doing the right thing, take things slow, dont force her and REWARD her for good. Bindi to this days does a mad dance when you put her harness on :roll: , she is fine outside and then wants it off again inside. Outside she doesnt want to walk, for me though she wants to follow Kemo so that is how we get her going-then she warms up. such drama for a lil dog huh? :lol:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Marcus is an adventurous sort. When we tried the harness and lead in the house he would fight to the end. As soon as he got to go outside and discovered the harness meant an adventure was coming up he was delighted. His first public outing was a trip to Petco and he thought he was so BIG getting to walk through that store on a leash. Then we took him camping and he got to go all over and explore things and now if you pick up his harness he's shoving his head into it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Bella does really well with her harness outside. I have never had any problems. But, than again I also have a Shih Tzu that she admires and follows around that walks well on a lead.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
It took Gizmo about 3 days to get used to it...I just put his harness on for most of the day while I was training him, so he was already used to his collar so the harness wasn't a big deal.

I have a retractable leash which he always bites the front and goes about hsi business....he has to grab it though...

and then when he gets silly he rolls around and around like an alligator....he's a silly little boy..

But the first 2 days he just sat there and I had to run in front of him yelling his name like a nut! It worked because he is ALWAYS following mummy...plus When I put the leash or harness on I get all silly and say "Outsideeee" Gizzie going Outsideeee" and I do a dance..LOL...he gets all excited and dances too :blob4: :blob7: , then from there I put on his harness and make sure he follows ME outside...I don't let him go first...

Whew* I don;t know if that helps but persistence is the key, and give him a little tidbit when he does a good job! I just take a milkbone puppy bone and I break it up in bitty pieces for the day...so all he is eating is one puppy milkbone.

Good Luck! :toothy7:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I started Gadget with a farret harness when he was 5 weeks old. I have put his harness on him every day.. He knows it means he is goign somewhere.. if it is byebye in the car or for walks.. when he sees the harness he knows.. he just sits there and lets me put it on... He is totally a harness baby.. I walked him in the house withhis leash for weeks before i took him out.. and it helped me hooking him in his carseat too,, he has to have his harness on to ride in the care.. he loves it.. I wish he could go get his harness.. I might have to put a hook down low on the wall so he can get it when I say "Get your harness lets go byebye"

<Thinking to myself> I got to do that.... That would be totally cool...

he loves walks... he walks really well on his leash.... I was at storage last week and I would let him lose with his leash dragging behind him.. he would stay right close to me... then on Saturday when we all 3 were at storage with him I would let him lose and he would run between us.. it was so cute.. he learned to wlak beside us.. we would be carrying stuff from one storage to the other nad he would walk right next to us about 4 feet away... then when i was at one storage and he was with Mark or Amanda at the other storage I would call him and he would come runnign right to me... It was funny because by the end of the week end he was following us while we were carrying furniture and he knew not to get under foot... I know this was good for him he learned so much in such a short time...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey!

Well I took Lola out for the first time yesterday! she doesn't really mind her harness. We went for a little walkies to the bus stop round the corner and back!! I took treats with me! Everytime somebody came towards us she would get real close to the ground with her ears back and run towards them! She's so friendly towards everyone!! Its very cute! But where's the loyalty I ask!! :lol:
When we got to the main road she was a bit scared but soon relaxed and thought she was huge!! :lol:
She didn't go toilet while we were out at all...she held it until we got home!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
loubie1736 said:
Hey!

Well I took Lola out for the first time yesterday! she doesn't really mind her harness. We went for a little walkies to the bus stop round the corner and back!! I took treats with me! Everytime somebody came towards us she would get real close to the ground with her ears back and run towards them! She's so friendly towards everyone!! Its very cute! But where's the loyalty I ask!! :lol:
When we got to the main road she was a bit scared but soon relaxed and thought she was huge!! :lol:
She didn't go toilet while we were out at all...she held it until we got home!! :eek:
What a good girl! Just remember to always go crazy with the praising...my guy thinks mummy is a nut but he loves it! He gets on his hind legs and twirls...LOL... :blob:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys,

Anyone got any good tips to stop my baby walking in a zig zag all over the pavement!!? :D
Lola's doing great on the harness and lead but has a problem sticking to one line and that's a liability her being so small!! I end up just picking her up!! :lol:

Also she refuses to go toilet outside at all! She waits til she gets home to her pads!! Do you think she will start doing it eventually?!

Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it seems I have a problem with little Lola!! She's been out on the harness a few times now but absolutely won't go toilet at all!! I've taken her to the park, on the streets, in quiet places etc I've taken a pad even and put it down for her but she refuses! Yesterday we were out for 4 hrs and she held it until we got home again!! I knew she wanted to go coz she started crying! :cry: Poor baby! I encourage her and give her treats but no success!! What shall I do??! Should I just leave it and eventually she'll have to relieve herself sometime!? :? I thought she'd smell lots of other doggie scents and make her mark..... but no! :shock:

I know she is able to hold it though as she goes all night without an accident and waits til morning to go on her pad! And that's sometimes as long as 9hrs!! I just need her to know that its ok to go anywhere she wants when we're outside!
:wave:

·
Registered
13 Posts
We took Macy on her first camping trip over Memorial Day weekend. It was her first time with a harness and leash. She started out timid and unsure at first with the leash on and had to be coaxed to walk but by the end of the weekend, she didn't seem to mind it at all. We had put the harness on her for a few minutes at a time at home beforehand just to get her used to it. She would try to bite it at first but once she got outside and got distracted playing she forgot about it. I'm hoping she'll be like these other Chis someday and get all excited when she sees her harness and leash come out!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
when you see her going towards her pad pick her up and say outside continue doing that i am sure she will get the idea. but dont say no outside just outside and praise her. i jumped up and down like an idiot lol goooooooooooooood giiiiiiiirl u did poopies outside! what a goooooooood girl. Lady will go outside and on paper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts