Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corky needs his second set of vacs but because he hasn't felt good, they want to wait until the middle of next week (about the 27th) before we think about it because they don't want him to relapse. However, we are leaving on vacation on the 30th for a week and he is coming with us. I guess I am so overprotective of him after all he has been through that I am afraid he will react to the vaccinations while we are gone. Has this ever happened to anyone? I would rather wait until we get back to get them done to make sure he is over his parasites and we are close to home to be safe. We are camping in our 5th wheel for a week and plan to be very careful with him and not let him run loose where dogs are/been and are going to keep him close to us and have him using potty pads.

Any advice/experience?

Thanks!

Heather

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Sometimes chi's can have reactions to vacs...chico did once...he got a little swollen but thats it. ask the vet to give your chi some benadryl when he gets his vacs, because sometimes that can help. also, don't let your chi get the lepto shot...there's a post about the lepto in the articles section.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:wave: My first Chi had a reaction to the rabies vaccine she got with her last set of shots, I almost lost her. We ran back to the vet with her and they said some Chi's do get that reaction. We don't take her to the vet for vaccine's anymore, we vaccinate ourselves and she doesn't get the rabies vac. We give her 1/2 teaspoon of benadryl 15 minutes before her vac and have had no problems. We vaccinate all four of our Chi's ourselves and we watch them for several hours after. They can have a reaction 2 hours after the vaccine. If it was me, I would wait until after the trip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One common vaccination that is given that alot of dogs have a reaction to is Leptosporosis, or Lepto for short. If a reaction is going to occur it is usually from the 2nd vaccination. Reaction to the shot can be nausea, lethargy, and swelling of the face and throat. If your dog has a reaction and his face swells, contact your vet immediately.

My vet informed me that the first vaccination of Lepto is probably all my dogs will need. Like Hepatitis, there are many variations of Lepto, and the vaccine given only covers one type. Lepto is usually caught in the wild from deer droppings in water, and a dog drinks that water. Unless you take your Chi hunting with you, it's not a high priority vaccination. Make sure to tell your vet when they do the yearly vaccinations to not give Lepto (if your dog reacts to it), otherwise they will give it because the vaccine they give is a "cocktail" mixture of several vaccines (parvo, distemper..etc). You may want to witness the vaccination to ensure that your dog does not get the Lepto.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I know we have different shots over here in the UK, the first ones between 8 and 10 weeks, and the 2nd jab 2 weeks later. On Biba's 2nd shots 2 weeks ago, she passed out, Cue, panicked vet and an even more scared husband. She came round within 20 seconds, but it seemed a lifetime, she had completely fainted. The vet had no explanation for it, we had to wait half an hour in the wait room and then have her heart rate checked again, and she was absolutely fine, but the vet had never seen this happen before :( . She has had no side effects and is none the worse now, but it was terrifying at the time.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper hasn't had reactions to vaccinations yet (and hopefully never will) but OmaKitty has had reactions to them since I got her.

I got her when she was almost a year old, had her vaccinated, and she had a small reaction. She's almost 9 now and every year, her reactions have gotten worse. 2 years ago, she almost died after receiving a rabies vaccination (the vet gave each vaccination seperately over a week to lessen the reaction) and we have now decided to not vaccinate her at all, with the exception of the feline leukemia. I had a cat die from FLV once and NEVER again. But she's an indoor kitty so she's safe from other bad stuff.

I guess none of that story relates to your question but I just wanted to share. I'm in a sharing mood today. :lol:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
Cooper hasn't had reactions to vaccinations yet (and hopefully never will) but OmaKitty has had reactions to them since I got her.

I got her when she was almost a year old, had her vaccinated, and she had a small reaction. She's almost 9 now and every year, her reactions have gotten worse. 2 years ago, she almost died after receiving a rabies vaccination (the vet gave each vaccination seperately over a week to lessen the reaction) and we have now decided to not vaccinate her at all, with the exception of the feline leukemia. I had a cat die from FLV once and NEVER again. But she's an indoor kitty so she's safe from other bad stuff.

I guess none of that story relates to your question but I just wanted to share. I'm in a sharing mood today. :lol:
I guess I'm in a sharing mood too. :lol: Lily's never had a bad reaction to a vaccination (other than being sort of achy and lethargic for a day) but I'm paranoid anyway. This year I had her annual shots spaced out with two weeks in between each one. She's just too little to have that much ick pumped into her body all at once. I also had them run a titer (at the suggestion of my daycare lady) and it turned out Lily didn't even need a couple of the shots they'd planned to give her. I don't know why vets just automatically put all dogs on the same schedule when clearly they should not be. What's up with that?? :?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Okay, what's a titer?

I don't know why vets keep animals on a yearly schedule. Probably because that's the way they did it when they started vaccinating animals and no one wants to mess with a "good thing".

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Mr Bigs Mummy said:
I know we have different shots over here in the UK, the first ones between 8 and 10 weeks, and the 2nd jab 2 weeks later. On Biba's 2nd shots 2 weeks ago, she passed out, Cue, panicked vet and an even more scared husband. She came round within 20 seconds, but it seemed a lifetime, she had completely fainted. The vet had no explanation for it, we had to wait half an hour in the wait room and then have her heart rate checked again, and she was absolutely fine, but the vet had never seen this happen before :( . She has had no side effects and is none the worse now, but it was terrifying at the time.
OMG I would have died....totally lost it... :shock:

I am so strong for other things....but when it comes to Gizmo or Joey I freak out so bad....everyone has to tell me to shut up and get a grip 'cuz I end up freakin out the animal....LOL....Yesterday something bit Gizmo in his paw and he had it lifted and didn't want to walk...so I freak out and scream to my hubby already crying....he tell me "You have to stop freaking out every time something happens...calm your self!"

Well....I can't help it....I cry when I see a cockroach :oops:

Glad your baby is doing fine... :D

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
Okay, what's a titer?

I don't know why vets keep animals on a yearly schedule. Probably because that's the way they did it when they started vaccinating animals and no one wants to mess with a "good thing".
A titer is when they take a blood sample to determine if the dog has enough antibodies to warrant skipping a distemper or parvo shot, for example. I'm sure I'm not explaining it scientifically but that's the bottom line. It took about a month to get the results back but it saved Lily from two shots this year and at least one next year. They can project that far ahead.

·
Registered
289 Posts
[quote="
OMG I would have died....totally lost it... :shock:

I am so strong for other things....but when it comes to Gizmo or Joey I freak out so bad....everyone has to tell me to shut up and get a grip 'cuz I end up freakin out the animal....LOL....Yesterday something bit Gizmo in his paw and he had it lifted and didn't want to walk...so I freak out and scream to my hubby already crying....he tell me "You have to stop freaking out every time something happens...calm your self!"

Well....I can't help it....I cry when I see a cockroach :oops:

Glad your baby is doing fine... :D[/quote]

Ahh, thanks honey :) my husband took her for her 2nd jab as I was taking the children out thank goodness! He was shocked, but I would have been completely hysterical, so I am so glad that I was not there to witness it. Can look back ok on it now as she is 100 percent fine, but I guess it is a huge needle for such a tiny dog. (I think I would faint too :wink: )

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Cooper said:
Okay, what's a titer?

A titer is when they take a blood sample to determine if the dog has enough antibodies to warrant skipping a distemper or parvo shot, for example. I'm sure I'm not explaining it scientifically but that's the bottom line. It took about a month to get the results back but it saved Lily from two shots this year and at least one next year. They can project that far ahead.
AAAAhhhh... I see now. Thank you, Jedi Master. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts