Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really notice it with Trigger or Laurel, who don't dink around w/ raw meals, and they are darker coloured, but w/ Oakley & Bryco, they are filthy after their bone-in meals of chicken or pork...their legs are all gunky looking or maybe just wet/oily looking. It takes them a LONG time to eat their raw meals and they really use their paws and legs to help, ...

Thing is I don't want them then crawling in my bed and on my pillow etc. with their little salmonella leggies!

Tell me if I'm just being ridiculous, lol. Or if its uncommon and my two are just weird? Or, if it IS common, what do you do about it?

So far I just have been giving a good scrub after w/ puppy wipes (they looove that...not).

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey uses her paws a lot to eat and since she's white they look messy. I just take a baby wipe or two and give her the wipe down after meals, then she gets a treat. That has worked for us.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I don't have that problem with Brody. He usually stands up to eat his meals and chews. He doesn't like it to touch his feet. Now he has NOOOOOO problem holding onto chewies or bully sticks with his feet, but he doesn't touch his feet to raw food at all.

I would try the wipes and maybe get some waterless shampoo? You could put a squirt ON the wipe and then rub it in. That might work better than just plain wipes.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The waterless shampoo is a great idea. The smaller guys just haven't quite figured it out maybe...they are all pooped out after their dinner tonight. Nice, cuz they aren't beating the crap out of each other ha ha. Bad, b'c they are dirty. The wipes only do so much, but I bet the waterless shampoo might work :)

Either way its not a big deal, just wondered if it was just ours. Zoey doing it too and being white makes sense I guess, I wonder why some use paws/feet/legs, and others don't?

I've been giving Trigger & Laurel 2 drummets that are abt 1 oz each via my kitchen scale when they have raw meals, I wonder if that is too much? Trigger is um, definitely not thin, I would say he's a bit more than ideal but not bad, so if that's too much, let me know...he is 7 lbs / 8 months.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The waterless shampoo is a great idea. The smaller guys just haven't quite figured it out maybe...they are all pooped out after their dinner tonight. Nice, cuz they aren't beating the crap out of each other ha ha. Bad, b'c they are dirty. The wipes only do so much, but I bet the waterless shampoo might work :)

Either way its not a big deal, just wondered if it was just ours. Zoey doing it too and being white makes sense I guess, I wonder why some use paws/feet/legs, and others don't?

I've been giving Trigger & Laurel 2 drummets that are abt 1 oz each via my kitchen scale when they have raw meals, I wonder if that is too much? Trigger is um, definitely not thin, I would say he's a bit more than ideal but not bad, so if that's too much, let me know...he is 7 lbs / 8 months.
At 7 pounds, one drummet would be fine. Not too much at all. He's still a puppy so will have a little more growing to do as well. One ounce should be fine! :hello1:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooo...I've been giving him 2...haha. Oops.

The smaller guys have been getting 1 -- so maybe I need to trim off a tiny bit of meat. I guess I've never gotten super technical about the amount because its usually no more than 3 meals per week, but I also don't want to overfeed...haha 3 huge dinners is enough to make me put on weight :p

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
All my guys eat standing up. They use their paws to hold down their meaty bones, so their paws get dirty. Once they complete their meal they lay down and lick their paws until "clean". If the meal has more marrow it is a bit more messy, but they do a good job cleaning up after themselves. Lol. Maxx sometimes gets gunk on his chest because he's a long coat, so I use a pet wipe and clean it. While I'm at it I'll wipe down all their paws, but not all the time. I use to worry about salmonella paws when I first started raw, but not anymore. If there is salmonella on their paws a pet wipe isn't going to be effective anyways, and it's not like I can Lysol wipe them. Lol.No telling what they walk through when going for walks!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Betty has white socks, and often gets them all messy and bloody. *shrugs* We don't wipe her off, she licks clean but the stains still there for a few days. Her feet are almost always pink. Same with Goose.

It's like wee wolves. Always gettin' dirty! ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cinder also refuses to touch the meat with her paws and prefers to eat standing up. She does do a hilarious run around and rub her face all over the floor when she's done eating though. I used to worry about it, too, but I haven't had any problems yet. Very rarely she's had pinkish stains on herself as she's all white, but I just use a soapy rag and wipe her down when that happens.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have the same problem when I feed my Dane bones. The only difference is that it usually stains his legs and with him being a show dog it really sucks :-( I havent given chibi any bones yet but I imagine with a mostly white, LC, that has no jaw strenght at all, I am forseeing a mess :-(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts