Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean "vs" as in battling/fighting but just the differences between the two. Apparently there have been a lot of recent studies showing that the "pack theory" is not nearly how we commonly perceive it. And newer studies can help us in understanding dog behavior.

This article was based on studies done by a Dr over 30 years of a DOG (not wolf) pack. I would love any input from folks on whether you disagree/agree etc. as this is kind of new to me admittedly. I've known for a while that the Alpha roll thing is bull, but there are a few other key things this article points out.

History and Misconceptions of Dominance Theory

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep! that's an awesome article and quite frankly me and my dogs have been sooo much happier since dropping the whole dominance theory. My dogs behave better and I enjoy them much more.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You know its funny really, cause I noticed the physical wasn't working anyway. If Oreo jumps I turn my back to him. I ignore him. He hates that so much, that now when I go out to feed or play with him he will sit and wag his tail while he waits for me to call him. I've never liked physical punishment for dogs because I don't like it when they cow down when I pet them. I want them to be happy and feel safe. But really, the way dogs rule each other isn't much different than the way humans do.

·
Banned
2 Posts
You know its funny really, cause I noticed the physical wasn't working anyway. If Oreo jumps I turn my back to him. I ignore him. He hates that so much, that now when I go out to feed or play with him he will sit and wag his tail while he waits for me to call him. I've never liked physical punishment for dogs because I don't like it when they cow down when I pet them. I want them to be happy and feel safe. But really, the way dogs rule each other isn't much different than the way humans do.

This article was based on studies done by a Dr over 30 years of a DOG (not wolf) pack. I would love any input from folks on whether you disagree/agree etc. as this is kind of new to me admittedly. I've known for a while that the Alpha roll thing is bull, but there are a few other key things this article points out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I completely agree with this. I have 5 and I find that the new theories and studies are very in line with what I personally see with my own dogs on a daily basis.

Dogs are a very non violent species. They become violent when pushed into a corner. If you take the time to truly learn how they think and communicate and the subtleties they use you can really train and enjoy a dog completely in mutual cooperation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts