Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My post yesterday no one replied to so i just deleted it, but i REALLY need someones help, im in tears over this. Latest example of Cocos behaviour- i put her in her crate for a wee as i always do a few times a day, as soon as she pees i let her out. Anway id left her food bowl in the other room so got it went to put it in the crate (not at all touching her, literally just placed the bowl in) she started screaming again. Shes done this a fair few times now wen im not even touching her, and other times wen i pick her up.
Ive been trying just putting her on the floor if she does it wen on my lap, and just ignoring her the times i hadnt been even touching her.
Wat should i stick to niethers working and i dont know wat to do?
She was perfect before this started now shes breaking my heart as im afraid to go near her.
Please some1 help me.

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem , I'm not sure if you have had a
vet look at her ? If not that would be the first thing I would do 'just' to make
sure she doesn't have something wrong with her which is making her behave 'odd'

Do you mean 'screaming' as screaming or do you think she is being aggressive ?

·
Registered
544 Posts
How long have you had her? How long was she fine before the first incident? Was there a specific incident that set the screaming off for the first time? Has she been checked by a vet to ensure there's no injury that you're not picking up? Has her vision been checked to make sure she can see and isn't getting startled to death by sudden movement? We need a little more information before we can offer suggestions. Meanwhile, going with the assumption there's not medical reason for the screaming, she needs to learn that all good things come from you. I would be hand feeding her at this point. Take the bowl away and give her kibbles each and every time you are near her. She'll get her daily ration of food this way so she's getting the proper nutrition but she's also learning that you are her provider. I'll check back for more info and see if there's any other suggestions I can offer. I've seen this behavior when there was an underlying medical condition and I've seen it when the dog had an "off" temperment. Those are the hardest to correct but they can resolve enough to allow the dog to be comfortable with her immediate family.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
My post yesterday no one replied to so i just deleted it, but i REALLY need someones help, im in tears over this. .....
I can't offer any help about the problem with Coco; but, I just want you to
know that there are people who are reading your posts and willing to help.
Please remember that there is a huge time difference between much of the
active membership here. By the time I read your thread, it was deleted. I
hope you find the answer to whatever is bothering Coco. Please keep us posted. :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I would get her checked by the vet,maybe she has some pain and is frightened you will hurt her in that region ?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I can't remember the background on her. Forgive me, but could you give us the story again? How you got her? How long you've had her? Any other history? Other pets, etc? How old is she?

And what exactly is she doing? Screaming when you go to touch her? Have you had a vet look at her? Maybe she has a problem.

I think if we had more information, we could advise you better on what to do. And I'm glad you asked for help. There is no shame in asking for help when you need it. That's one reason we are here. To help and support each other.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Ah hun i didn't see your post til it was deleted either.. i would have responded if i'd seen it.. you can always message me on fb and i'll bump the post up if need be. Like Therese said theres such a big time difference between us and the US.

Is she screaming crying?? Its a really high pitched war war war war sound in little puppies.

Guys coco is 13 weeks old, had her final jab last week (we only have 2 in the uk, one at 10 weeks and one at 12 weeks). Hayley is Irish so bought her in Ireland and her friend brought her over to England for her.

I'm wondering if it could be a reaction to something?? Daisy had a horrid reaction to her first jab and randomly cried for no reason at all, i couldn't even touch her..

I would probably be doing what Lisa said to and hand feed her if she's feeling crap it may help keep your bond up.. I'd also go to the vets just to check there is nothing wrong with her.

I'd also say the majority of the 'regulars' on here will always always answer your questions and give advice no matter how stupid they are? I've come up with some really odd questions at times and the majority of people don't judge and will always try and help you!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem , I'm not sure if you have had a
vet look at her ? If not that would be the first thing I would do 'just' to make
sure she doesn't have something wrong with her which is making her behave 'odd'
Do you mean 'screaming' as screaming or do you think she is being aggressive ?
Thanks 4 ur reply!
The vet saw her last week for her 2nd vacc, she said she was fine but i would consider bringing her back to check her again. By screaming i mean like an on going yelp, do u kno wat i mean the noise wen they r hurt but she does it for longer?

How long have you had her? How long was she fine before the first incident? Was there a specific incident that set the screaming off for the first time? Has she been checked by a vet to ensure there's no injury that you're not picking up? Has her vision been checked to make sure she can see and isn't getting startled to death by sudden movement? We need a little more information before we can offer suggestions. Meanwhile, going with the assumption there's not medical reason for the screaming, she needs to learn that all good things come from you. I would be hand feeding her at this point. Take the bowl away and give her kibbles each and every time you are near her. She'll get her daily ration of food this way so she's getting the proper nutrition but she's also learning that you are her provider. I'll check back for more info and see if there's any other suggestions I can offer. I've seen this behavior when there was an underlying medical condition and I've seen it when the dog had an "off" temperment. Those are the hardest to correct but they can resolve enough to allow the dog to be comfortable with her immediate family.
Ive had her 6 weeks now, she was fine untill her 1st vacc 3 weeks ago, could that be wats starting this? i had to hold her while the vet put the needle in and thats the 1st time i heard her scream like this. Then she had her 2nd one last week and did the same thing. When i was at the vets both times she examinaed her and said she was fine. Could it be possible she thinks i hurt her with the vaccines and is now scared of me?
Thank u so much for ur reply i will start hand feeding her now, for the last couple of hours since the last incident iv been giving her small bits of ham wen i touch her so hope that helps too. I hope this can be overcome as we had such a good relationship b4 this started.

I can't offer any help about the problem with Coco; but, I just want you to
know that there are people who are reading your posts and willing to help.
Please remember that there is a huge time difference between much of the
active membership here. By the time I read your thread, it was deleted. I
hope you find the answer to whatever is bothering Coco. Please keep us posted. :)
Thanks for ur reply, ur right i had completely forgot the fact that not every1 is in the same time zone, i was just upset at the time and completely over looked that.
So thank u for replying:)

Oh am so sorry for you and her.
I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
Do let us know.
Be thinkin of you. xxx
Thanks i hope so too :(

has she had her needles recently ?
Yes 2nd one last week, would that make her this bad??

I can't remember the background on her. Forgive me, but could you give us the story again? How you got her? How long you've had her? Any other history? Other pets, etc? How old is she?

And what exactly is she doing? Screaming when you go to touch her? Have you had a vet look at her? Maybe she has a problem.

I think if we had more information, we could advise you better on what to do. And I'm glad you asked for help. There is no shame in asking for help when you need it. That's one reason we are here. To help and support each other.
No probs:), got her about 6 weeks now she was 8 weeks old from a breeder i knew, weve no other pets, im thinking as im replying to every1 it must be to do with her vaccines as thats wen she started really screaming like this??
yes she screams maybe 3 quarters of the times i go to touch her, sometimes i dont even get to touch her as she screams b4 i even get to her, she scares me wen she does it so i think half the problem now is im so nervous around her now.
Thanks for ur reply :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, I think she got spooked and scared by her shots. If she has to have any more, make yourself a refuge. Don't hold her why they do them.

In the meantime, just work on being calm around her. I bet she senses your anxiety and fear over what has happened. Be an actress. Just act like everything is fine. Don't coddle her or act scared or hesitant around her. She's a puppy. She will adjust quickly. If she thinks there is something to be scared of, she will become more fearful.

Play games with her, take her on a walk, throw a toy for her, etc. Let her come to you and then be happy. (Act happy even if you don't feel it. ha). She will settle soon, I'm sure.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah hun i didn't see your post til it was deleted either.. i would have responded if i'd seen it.. you can always message me on fb and i'll bump the post up if need be. Like Therese said theres such a big time difference between us and the US.

Is she screaming crying?? Its a really high pitched war war war war sound in little puppies.

Guys coco is 13 weeks old, had her final jab last week (we only have 2 in the uk, one at 10 weeks and one at 12 weeks). Hayley is Irish so bought her in Ireland and her friend brought her over to England for her.

I'm wondering if it could be a reaction to something?? Daisy had a horrid reaction to her first jab and randomly cried for no reason at all, i couldn't even touch her..

I would probably be doing what Lisa said to and hand feed her if she's feeling crap it may help keep your bond up.. I'd also go to the vets just to check there is nothing wrong with her.

I'd also say the majority of the 'regulars' on here will always always answer your questions and give advice no matter how stupid they are? I've come up with some really odd questions at times and the majority of people don't judge and will always try and help you!!!
Oh Sarah its a high pitched yelp sometimes on-going and it really scares me it makes me so nervous to go near her at all, im home on my own with her all day and its as if theres a tension now which sounds wierd but u know wat i mean, its like were both afraid of each other now!
I know i forgot bout the time diff i wasnt thinking properly!
Thats wat its like random yelping/crying high pitched crying, but its so sudden she makes me jump!
I know i dunno wat id do without this forum for things like this thats actually really upset me:( i just hope my bond wit her isnt broken.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I think she got spooked and scared by her shots. If she has to have any more, make yourself a refuge. Don't hold her why they do them.

In the meantime, just work on being calm around her. I bet she senses your anxiety and fear over what has happened. Be an actress. Just act like everything is fine. Don't coddle her or act scared or hesitant around her. She's a puppy. She will adjust quickly. If she thinks there is something to be scared of, she will become more fearful.

Play games with her, take her on a walk, throw a toy for her, etc. Let her come to you and then be happy. (Act happy even if you don't feel it. ha). She will settle soon, I'm sure.
Yes i think i underestimated how scared she was at the vets and with getting her injections and i was the one holding her towards me, so all she saw at the time was me not the vet.
Im sure your right that she senses my anxiety now cos i feel awful scared and nervous with her now, how do i keep calm??
I know shes never biten anyone but its as if im scared she will because her reaction is so dramatic and sudden.
I will defo try now to calm myself down and chill around her no matter how hard it is at the mo, thank u!!:p

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I'm sure you are going to get tons of advice :) Here is mine:
when she yelps, turn and walk away. Ignore her. When you feel calm,
sit down at her level and have some tasty food in your hand. Let her come
to you and eat it. Next time, same thing. When she eats it, talk softly to her.
After a few times of that, same thing, talking softly, and gently stroke her fur.
Don't rush. Be calm. Stop worrying she is going to bite you. She really wants
your love and to feel safe. It's your job to be calm and reassuring. You are her
safe place. As Brody's Mom said, don't be around when the Vet has to do something
uncomfortable to her. Come in after and soothe her. She is a baby. She will forget
this experience. Soothing her and calming her is how you will bond :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure you are going to get tons of advice :) Here is mine:
when she yelps, turn and walk away. Ignore her. When you feel calm,
sit down at her level and have some tasty food in your hand. Let her come
to you and eat it. Next time, same thing. When she eats it, talk softly to her.
After a few times of that, same thing, talking softly, and gently stroke her fur.
Don't rush. Be calm. Stop worrying she is going to bite you. She really wants
your love and to feel safe. It's your job to be calm and reassuring. You are her
safe place. As Brody's Mom said, don't be around when the Vet has to do something
uncomfortable to her. Come in after and soothe her. She is a baby. She will forget
this experience. Soothing her and calming her is how you will bond :)
Ok so i just ignore her wen she does it, i can do that, the biggest thing for me is keeping calm cos i have so far been backing right away from her wen she does it cos it scares me. Im gonna have to work at being calm!
I can tell she really wants my love and to feel safe as ur saying as once its over she puts her ears back, wags her tail, and slowly walks up to me, i know she wants to be friends! Iv to just get over being scared to touch her now!
And i will definatly make sure im no where near her for bad things at the vets from now on!!!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I know it sounds like a small difference, but do NOT back away--
turn away. Don't let her see your reaction to her outburst...
Dogs thrive on getting our attention. When you turn your back
to her, you are not rewarding her behavior. I know all of these
suggestions address behavioral issues. Be certain to check with
your Vet to rule out any underlying health problems.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know it sounds like a small difference, but do NOT back away--
turn away. Don't let her see your reaction to her outburst...
Dogs thrive on getting our attention. When you turn your back
to her, you are not rewarding her behavior. I know all of these
suggestions address behavioral issues. Be certain to check with
your Vet to rule out any underlying health problems.
Ok i will make sure to turn away from now on,
Thank u :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I don't have much advice to add. I do agree it sounds like she was scared by her shots. Poor baby girl. :( I just wanted to say that I hope things get better. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts