Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not given Spacely any rec bones since he has such an overshot jaw, I didn't think he could gnaw that easily and it would just frustrate him.

Yesterday, Tinsel got a piece of deer bone with her meal (Spacely had venison as well...just not bone). She gnawed on it happily and left it in the yard. Spacely found it was pranced around with it in his mouth, brought it to his blanket, gnawed on it, played with it (tossed it in the air, play bowed, pounced) and just loved to have that bone. After about an hour, he left it so I picked it up and tossed it (Tinsel was done with it and he could not eat it either)

This morning, when I fed him, I gave him a pork neck bone piece. He has been working on that bone for over 3 hours now (not continuously) It is pretty clean now but he is loving it. Right now, he has it held between his front paws and he is gnawing with his back teeth. He has also been playing with it like he did last night.

Tinsel knows he has it and she has been such a good girl, not even going near him. He has left it a few times and while she sniffed it, I didn't have to ask her to drop it.

I was really worried with his bite that Spacely was going to be missing out on rec bones. I am very pleased that he is able to gnaw on them and get some enjoyment (and excercise) after all.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That's awesome! I think most dogs can benefit from rec bones, even with under or overshot mouths. They are pretty tough little guys. Brody is undershot and he chews like a champ.

How are Spacely's teeth looking?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts