Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked in the middle of my other raw thread, which was probably not very smart of me :roll: :D But I'm curious what are good recreational bones for chi's? Like, other than chicken legs or wings that can be fed for meals, what raw bones are good to give for a chi (like Venus) who loves to chew bones and will help clean their teeth in the process, without hurting their tiny teeth :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would still suggest meaty bones such as turkey wings or turkey necks. Beef ribs can be a good chew also, as can pork ribs. (Make sure they are not enhanced, 100mg of sodium or less). Although if I'm buying ribs - they are gonna be for ME. ha.

Some people suggest pig trotters which are the bottom part of pig legs/feet that are cut in half. They are fatty, so beware of loose stools. But they give a vigorous chewing workout.

I hesitate to recommend the raw cow femurs you can get a the grocery store sold as soup bones just because I've heard of dogs chipping a tooth on them. Having said that, I HAVE given them to Brody and he will chew the meat off and then settle down and chew for a good long time. I always scoop out the marrow first and just leave a little bit since it can cause loose stools. No tooth problems yet, but it is possible. So use at your own risk.

Another thing you might try for Venus is antlers or himalayan chews. The antlers are naturally shed deer antlers and are very, very hard. But they do NOT splinter and they can chew on them for hours at a time and hardly make a dent. The himalayan chews are also good. They are a rock hard cheese from that part of the world. Totally edible but very hard. They have to scrape and scrape to get anything off.

Of course bullysticks are a great chew, but don't last as long as the antlers or himi chews.

I'm pretty sure you can get the antlers and the himi chews at bestbullysticks.com.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tracy! I got her an antler a couple months ago and she loved it! But I think we lost it at my moms in the process of moving lol So I just ordered a new one off bestbullysticks that should be here in a day or two. Bully sticks used to be a big hit but neither one is really big into those like they used to be, I think they're starting to only like certain brands of them. I'll have to talk Jer into letting me order a couple hymalayan chews. They sounded great when you told me about them, and then I never got a chance to try them lol. I might try turkey necks or something then, for a quick chewy snack.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Awwwww we don't get anything over here........ only roo sticks (kangaroo doodles) i feel like we are out in the bush on this island......lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts