Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My guys have been on RAW/Premade RAW diet for 1 1/2 weeks now and the poos have been solid and usually with a lot of white in it. Today Chibi had a red jelly like poo? I was hoping to incorporate chicken wing tips in starting tomorrow after the premade is gone but now I am not sure? What would cause the poo to do this? Does this mean he isnt handling it well? It also had a weird kinda odor to it? I recognized the odor but couldnt quite put my finger on what the smell was?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Have they only been eating the pre made or raw??? How much bone content have they had?? I get jelly sloppy funky poos if I don't give enough bone. Also if I give too much organ they et super sonic poos.

I would up the bone content to firm it back up

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
The smell is blood. Please take him to the Vet ASAP. That kind of tummy upset is not good. Could be HGE. Not something to mess around with. It will get worse without immediate treatment.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
It can turn into Pancreatitis fast too, Michelle. I would have him seen as soon as you can. What you are seeing is him shedding the lining of his stomach.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is HGE? Also he is not acting sick at all? Do you not think this has something to do with me feeding him RAW?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never mind, I did a search for HGE. I may take him in and have his stool sampled, it is time for his stool to be tested again since his hookworms anyways. I cant imagine it being HGE unless it is caused by Salmonella (sp?) do to the RAW feeding?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
He's been on pre-made ONLY for 2 weeks and just now he's having a problem? I would say it's unrelated to his diet. Maybe he got into something? Have you changed anything.... added a new treat, etc?

The red color and jelly like consistency sounds like blood and mucous. I wouldn't mess around with that either. I'd have him looked at just to be sure. It sounds like he might have picked up a virus or eaten something he shouldn't have.

I don't want to be super defensive about raw feeding, but if he hasn't had any changes and has been tolerating the diet perfectly for 2 weeks and just now had a funky stool - I would say he got into something he shouldn't have.

Having said that..... I don't stress out over changes in bowels unless they are severe. Mucous is a sign of an irritated GI tract. Bright red blood smeared on the stool means irritation around the anus. Black and tarry stools indicated old digested blood from further up the GI tract. Just as our stools aren't exactly the same from day to day - neither are our dogs. However, I would be concerned with a jello red mucous poop. That doesn't sound right at all.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Salmonella and eColi can present the same symptoms. I have no clue if it's related to his diet, though. When using RAW meat it's a chance you take. HGE to me is just a diagnosis that is made when they don't have any proof of what is causing it.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It's worth getting it checked they are likely to give him an antibiotic jab (we've had a couple when daisy gets into other peoples kibble and bleeds but hers actually pours out her bum even if she's not had a bm)

I don't think it's diet related because it would have happened immediately. Unless the meat has gone off they can digest it with no problems... I always smell mine before feeding just in case as I never remember what defroste when)

Anyway I would still up the bone content as it will help firm his poos back up

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Anyway I would still up the bone content as it will help firm his poos back up
Sarah, he's not on prey model. he's on a pre-made only. Nothing extra. That's why I think it's not related to diet. I think he got into something.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Michelle, I would take him in today. That kind of stool will probably not correct itself without treatment. I wouldn’t feed him anything until you see a Vet. They can give him some Metronidazole, and other stuff to get him back on track fast.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Could be a bad batch of pre-made?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No Tracy he is on a combination of the two although two days ago I gave him just the RAW chicken. I guess it is possible that I let the chicken go bad but it smells fine?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
No Tracy he is on a combination of the two although two days ago I gave him just the RAW chicken. I guess it is possible that I let the chicken go bad but it smells fine?
Oh, I thought you said you were doing the pre-made only. Sorry, my mistake!

OK - so the raw chicken was given 2 days ago and just now you are having a weird stool? What did he have to eat in the last 24 hours?

How many of these mucousy poops has he had? How is he acting? Does he have a fever?

I doubt the chicken was bad. A dog's version of bad and our version of bad are worlds apart. Dogs can bury meat out in the yard and dig it up later and eat it with no ill effects. They have super strong stomach acid. I never feed "off" chicken, but it would have to be pretty rotten for it to cause a problem and I'm sure the chicken you fed wasn't bad like that.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No fever, he is acting fine. Only one had the weird stool this morning. He hasnt eaten anything except his premade yesterday morning, RAW chicken last night, also a tiny bit of yogurt icing off of a cookie and then RAW chicken this morning

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
No fever, he is acting fine. Only one had the weird stool this morning. He hasnt eaten anything except his premade yesterday morning, RAW chicken last night, also a tiny bit of yogurt icing off of a cookie and then RAW chicken this morning
Could be a reaction to the chicken. If his body is getting used to the pre-made which already has the bone ground in it, and then he just had the real thing - his belly might be irritated. If he's only had the one weird stool, and he's acting normally, I'd be inclined to say you can wait and see what his next stool looks like. Your call of course. If you are worried, take him on in.

Sometimes when transitioning to raw you will see some different stools.

Did the raw chicken you gave have bone in it, or was it just a chunk of the meat? You need to go a little bone heavy in the beginning as it acts as fiber and helps to firm the stool. A dog new to raw will have loose mucousy stools on chicken only. (And blood would be a sign of irritation). I would give the raw chicken with bone in at this point. NO plain chicken. Only bony pieces for now until stools stabilize.

The pre-mades are manufactured to be bone heavy. That's what keeps the stools firm. When you do it yourself, you may have to experiment and learn exactly how much bone your dog requires to keep the stools firm. We aim for 10% bone. But in the beginning, you may need to go as high as 50% bone for awhile and then gradually back it off.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Personally I would take him in right away even if he is acting fine. I've no clue as to the cause, but blood in the GI tract is too scary to mess around with. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Red jelly poop isn't a good thing. Georgie my pom gets black tarry stools after eating organs, but if they were red at all he'd be at my vet immediately. Redness in stools is a sign of intestinal bleeding, and it can get really serious really fast (especially in these little dogs). Where he is acting okay that's a good sign, but my sisters chow chow died of HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis) and was eating/drinking/playing and acting normally. I'm not saying that's what it is but red jellyness in the stool is a sign as well as the odor you are smelling (which is probably blood).

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I thought it was the opposite? I thought black tarry stools were more of a concern (digested blood coming from further up) and that red blood means fresh blood much lower down, thus slightly less of a concern. I think any blood should generally be looked into though.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts