Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reese has been off the past few days, he's only eat half of one meal and turned down 3 meals now (hes fed twice a day and normally cleans his bowl). He threw up on our duvet sometime overnight, and once today. Hes just laying around looking miserable and pathetic. Im sure it isnt a big deal, but I still cant help worrying. He went to the park with me today and did ok, dragged a little bit, but now he doesnt even want to go out to potty. My poor little guy :(
Im not sure what his poos have been like. Id like to get some food, and some liquids, into him. He is allergic to chicken. Any other options beyond boiled chicken and plain yogurt? Im going to run to the store here soon to get him some yogurt but Im wondering if theres anything else that might get him eating a bit.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Give him whatever he'll eat at this point. That's a long time for a little dog to go without eating. Is he drinking? You need to make sure he's not getting dehydrated. If you pinch some skin, and it stays pinched up, he's dehydrated, and that's potentially dangerous.

If it were me, I'd be at the vet about now. Granted, I'm a little anxious about this kind of thing, but I'd rather know what the problem is than to just go on hoping.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
has he pooed ? and does he chew things or maybe eaten something different ? i would get him to the vet .

edited to add another way to tell if he is dehydrated is to touch his gums , if they are sticky he is dehydrated .

i would be considering a blocked bowel since he is showing the symptoms of one , if not treated soon enough it can be lethal , another thing that comes to mind is pancreatitis , better to go to the vet that way these things can be ruled out , he may just be feeling a little off but better to be safe than sorry :) .

hope you feel better soon little Reese

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Can you get some turkey and boil that? Or baby turkey/beef Beech Nut Brand (this is the only one without corn).

I would also pick up a bottle of children's unflavored pedialyte and give him a few medicine dropperfuls every 2-3 hours to get him rehydrated and his electrolyte replenished. You can also replace half their water with this for a few days.

Other options as far as food -- is he allergic to egg? obv. it comes from a chicken...so...probably can't have that. Or you might try just mixing the baby food in with some plain boiled rice. I would say about 1/2 a jar with 1/4 cup or a little less plain boiled rice would be a good amount.

Rehydrate rehydrate rehydrate though. I find that solves most of the problems when my dogs are feeling off :-/

Hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw poor little sweetheart. :( That's awhile to go without eating. I assume he's drinking enough water? Keeping him hydrated is so important. Unflavored Pedialyte would be good to use, as Kristi mentioned. As for eating, I would suggest boiled hamburger and rice. I'd take him to the vet tomorrow though if he's still the same. I hope he feels better soon, Katy. Keep us posted, hun. x

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
How about scrambled eggs with some rice and hamburger? I used to give my dog that when she was under the weather. But i would probably put a call into the vet. Hoping all is well in the morning.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I would try boiled rice & hamburger. Get some Pedialyte and give him that will keep him hydrated and keep energy up. If you can't get him to eat anything then give some karo syrup or honey.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I just tracked down a store that carries Beechnut near us, so I will get him some of that along with the Pedialyte. He is not dehydrated, but I definitely want to keep it that way. To be clear, it isnt that he wont eat ANYTHING, he will still accept a bite of cheese or the like if Im having some, and he gladly ate a fry that my fiance dropped at dinner, but I dont want to go loading him up on treats or people food that could upset his tummy and make him feel worse. Hes right around 7 lbs, so Im not as concerned about his not eating as I would be if he was still teensy. He isnt really the type to get into things or eat weird stuff, so Im thinking its just a little virus, but Ill give our vet a call tomorrow if he hasnt improved to see what he thinks.
Thank you again, I really appreciate everyones concern and advice. So does Reese!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Ah I see, it's good to know he will still eat some things. :) I was worried he was refusing all food. Aww such a sweet pic with Miley. You can tell she knows something isn't right, so sweet.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. They really are so intuitive. Ugh I just hate it when one of them isn't well. He's clearly unhappy, gassy, and can't get comfy. I've got him on my lap all swaddled in his favorite blanket and he's resting nicely now. I just wish I could make him all better now. It's so upsetting seeing him like this. My tendancy has always been to rush them in when somethings off so I'm trying to get better at discerning when it's an emergency and when it's just a little stomach bug, but to me him being ill always feels like an emergency:( I hope we see a big improvement in him tomorrow. Other than not eating he really seemed normal yesterday, and at first I thought he'd thrwon up just because he had an empty tummy, it really wasn't until this evening when he became a little lump on the couch that I finally realized he's sick.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.
Update- When my fiance got home Reese lept off the couch and ran to the door wagging his tail and bouncing around. We brought him with us to the store and he jumped in wagging his tail and hopping around. He didnt care for the plain yogurt, gave it a few licks but I think it must be too tart for him. He absolutely SCARFED down the turkey beechnut, so I am already feeling waaay better. O, and he went out for a pee. No poop yet, but Im guessing thats because hes barely eaten.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Thanks guys.
Update- When my fiance got home Reese lept off the couch and ran to the door wagging his tail and bouncing around. We brought him with us to the store and he jumped in wagging his tail and hopping around. He didnt care for the plain yogurt, gave it a few licks but I think it must be too tart for him. He absolutely SCARFED down the turkey beechnut, so I am already feeling waaay better. O, and he went out for a pee. No poop yet, but Im guessing thats because hes barely eaten.
mmm yams sounds good rite about now! hehe~ my boy loves loves yams or even steak...omg im starvin rite now too :(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw that's good he ate the turkey! At least he is eating something! Hope he's feeling his old self soon! How sweet of Miley to know when things are wrong, dogs are amazing!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Thanks guys.
That's wonderful, I'm so glad to hear it! I was thinking about Reese this morning and hoping he was feeling better - yay. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts