Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Honey is being a stubborn little madam the last couple of days!
She will eat chicken wings all day long if she could, she loves crunching on the bone! On Tuesday, i gave her some boneless chicken thigh for her lunch, she refused to eat it, she just played with it. So at night, i tried again, same thing! Then i gave her a wing and she wolfed it down!
She did the same thing yesterday - she just doesnt seem to realise that its still food, although it hasnt got a bone in.
What can i do to get past this? I need to start reducing the bone a bit as her poo has been very hard and crumbly for the past few days, thats why i tried the boneless thigh meat. If i hold the meat for her, she refuses to go anywhere near it at all/or thinks i am playing around. Help :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I haven't really had this problem but could you try bone in thigh and take away the bone before she can eat it all? Or something like ribs...Mylo never gets through the bone.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
You could try mincing it so she can't play with it. If it is the taste she doesn't like you could try flavouring it with something she does like (eg strong cheese) or lightly searing it to bring out the flavour. Just drop it in a hot pan and take it straight out. If it works sear less with each subsequent meal. Or try turkey, it is almost as easy to digest but has a bit more flavour. Raw chicken is very bland, especially if she was used to strongly flavoured kibble before.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. She gets to work straight away crunching on the bone, so dont think i would be able to take it away before she eats it all up! She's still on chicken at the moment, so no ribs etc as yet.

I didnt even think of making it smaller for her to eat! God silly me! :) I will try little pieces tonight, i havent got a mincer at home. Cant believe i didnt even think that it doesnt need to all be in one piece, esp as it hasnt got bone in! Thanks Stella xx

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I have to mince up most offal to get my two to eat it. I just chop it very finely with a knife.
Once she has got used to plain meat she can go back to chunks, it is better for her to chew her food.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, it didn't work :( I tried her with very small pieces of chicken, she wouldn't touch them. Then tried to sear it lightly, nope she still wouldn't budge! Offered a wing, she sniffed at it and walked away. She hasn't eat all day, but i know she's hungry as she's pawing at the food cupboard and was whining when i was preparing my dinner, the little monkey! She's absolutely fine otherwise, running around and playing like mad. Is it time to introduce other meats, was going to try some turkey, maybe some beef?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts