Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't about chis, but I was looking in the newspaper and it said
Morkies CKC registered. I thought that you had to be full blooded to be registered right? Morkies are a cross, so shouldn't they not be able to be registered?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
CKC=Continental Kennel Club (unless one is in Canada and then CKC=Canadian Kennel Club which is a legitimate registry).
You could "register" just about anything with Continental. Similar organizations have popped up recently. ACA, APRI and others. Sadly, I have friends who bought dogs they thought were pedigree (and paid a premium price) because they came with 'papers". Papers from some of these organizations.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
If it is Continental Kennel Club, then there really is no assurance of pedigree. As Karen mentioned, basically anything can be registered and there really isn't any assurance of anything- you can't even be sure they are purebred. Most do not consider it a legitimate registry.

If it is Canadian Kennel Club, then I am not familiar with it other than I have heard that it is reputable and on par with the American Kennel Club. However, if it is CKC, then I believe you are right and mixes (such as "Morkies") cannot be registered.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that's crazy! I mean that's clearly not full blooded. To me it's not really important to be registered unless you're wanting to show or breed your dogs, as long as you're getting a good dog, but it does make the dog sound better if you don't know what you're supposed to be looking for. It seems to be all about this scheme nowadays to sell dogs. It's sad really. I saw some chis advertized online recently that were projected to be 2-2.2lbs and were said to be 15 weeks old. They were CLEARLY very young puppies. There was no way they were 15 weeks old. It's really really sad.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I think many breeders/pet stores/ puppy mills use CKC "registration" to be able to advertise that the pups have papers not only so they can sell more puppies, but also because if the pups are registered they can get more money. You are absolutely right, it's horrible.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You both are exactly right. If someone wants a purebred dog, a show dog or something else, they should get what they pay for. All of these groups have just opened the door to let poor breeders scam people who are simply unaware.

My girls are purebred and AKC registered but there are babies here who are not that are as or more lovely, healthy and breed standard looking than my 3.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just because a dog isn't AKC registered doesn't mean they aren't a great dog by any means. But you shouldn't have to pay an AKC price of they aren't. Don't they have to be AKC registered to show?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
To be recognized as purebred for shows sanctioned by AKC they would have to be regiistered with the KC. The comparable KC in Canada, Europe, etc. has same or extremely similar standards. there are "companion" shows, and aglity trials etc. that are open to registered and non registered dogs. The mixed/designer breeds are not recognized as purebreeds for the KC purpose. Sometimes the KC-s will recognize a "new" breed though. That Continental kennel club is a bogus registery--one pays $$ and registers whatever...no standards or anything, and going by "CKC" people get mixed up wit the legitimate Canadian Kennel Club --it is awful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts