Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a general question..the person i got peanut n jelly from wasnt a breeder so she never registered the litters ckc or akc. so does that mean that i cant register them myself? is it that important for them to be ckc or akc?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I do know you can't register AKC without the breeder registering the litter. Cooper's parents were AKC but the breeder only registered the litter CKC.

CKC will let you register a dog but they have guidelines. You may want to check their website to see what they are.

I personally don't care if my dog is registered or not. I so like having the registration - it's like a birth certificate to me - but if Cooper wasn't registered, it wouldn't make a difference one way or the other in my eyes. I'd just make up my own birth certificate for him. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so say peanut butter and jelly have babies in the future would i be able to register the litter? or do the parents still have to be registered?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If you're asking about AKC, I think they have to have a pedigree to be registered.

With CKC, you could register the litter but I think they have a system where you have to prove your dog is whatever breed it is.

·
Registered
277 Posts
With the AKC;

A purebred dog is eligible for AKC registration if its litter has been registered
A litter cannot be registered unless the sire and dam are registered dogs that are purebred themselves.

With the CKC;
To be considered a purebred, both parents of the puppy must be registered with the CKC
If the sire or dam of a litter is a foriegn dog, they must be registered with the corresponding registery i.e the AKC to be eligible.

So the rules are pretty much the same in both clubs. The parents have the be registered and pure and the litter has to be registered to continue the pedigree. Its not of real importance unless you wanted to show your dogs but it appears that since the litter wasn't registered, your pups can't be registered with either registery.

so say peanut butter and jelly have babies in the future would i be able to register the litter? or do the parents still have to be registered?
Nope, the offspring couldn't be registered either with unregistered parents.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine has CKC papers which I have neglected to mail off as of yet, I'd better do it soon!

Question:
So with the regulations being stated and all is there ANY way to register a dog without papers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts