Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Milo is almost 10 months old, and was almost fully housebroke up until two weeks ago. He has always preferred to potty outside and would only ocassionally go inside on the pee pad. He would usually only do this if he was left alone in the house for more than a couple of hours. We are all of a sudden seeing him urinate in the house now (kitchen floor) and I just don't understand it. It has become very frustrating! Its almost like he is marking. I know this is a silly question, but do they still mark even after being neutered? I am at a complete loss as to why we are seeing this change in behavior. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nine - Mommy to Milo

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
you have a teenager on your hands. From the age of 6-18 months, a puppy goes through adolescence and will try to gain dominance, rebel against you and be a holy terror! :lol:

Keep up with the training and don't let him get the best of you. :D

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.... I feel like I am going insane! I don't know what to do other than to continue taking Milo outside every 2-3 hours as we always have done. How do you go about showing them who is boss? I just don't remember having this much trouble with my first chi, but that was almost 14 years ago. I know that Milo knows urinating on the kitchen floor is naughty as his ears will lay back, his tail will drop and he will put his head down once he sees me in the kitchen after one of these little episodes. Its like his way of confessing his guilt. I don't know what I would do if he wasn't soooo darn cute!

Nine - Mommy to Milo

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We are all of a sudden seeing him urinate in the house now (kitchen floor) and I just don't understand it. It has become very frustrating! Its almost like he is marking.
Zeus regressed the first year too, so you're not alone. Speaking of marking, I was making dinner the other day when Zeus marked ME. He urinated all over my ankle. My 3 year old replied "Zeusey, you have to go potty outside, not on mommy."

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
NoahFL said:
Zeus regressed the first year too, so you're not alone. Speaking of marking, I was making dinner the other day when Zeus marked ME. He urinated all over my ankle. My 3 year old replied "Zeusey, you have to go potty outside, not on mommy."
Okay, that's not funny... but it is. :lol: :lol:

Nine, you've probably seen my posts about how you show a dog that you're the alpha of the relationship (I've posted it everywhere, it seems LOL) but basically, you need to make sure he never gets anything first. By that, I mean if you're walking through a doorway, he goes behind you... if you're going to feed him, you eat something first, etc.

I also do this thing with Cooper when we play (that I learned from watching the Dog Whisperer) where you take the dog by the scruff of the neck and lay them on the floor. By doing that, you're claiming dominance over the dog ... it's what they do to each other in a pack situation when dominance questions arise.

When I do it to Cooper, we're usually playing and I wait until he rolls over and put my hand on his neck area and don't let him up until he stops fighting to get up. I make it a play thing so it's not me walking up and throwing him to the ground but it gets the point across to him that I'm in charge.

I've had a lot of success with Cooper claiming dominance over him but he's also extremely submissive by nature so he never fought any of it. I don't know how long it would take a harder-headed dog to get the swing of things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts