Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day is drawing closer, tomorrow morning is the day to start the phenobarb. I guess i say reluctent because most people who have shared say that their dogs have had multiple seizures in a day. Then i can see why they would have to do meds. My chi has only 2 maybe three per month. My vet feels that its probably time to start the meds, as we have been monitoring them for a year now and they have not stopped. I love my dog so much and want to do the right thing. I fear becausw once you start meds, you cant stop them, what if something goes wrong or she never plays again and lays around like a limp noodle? The seizures dont seem to be harming anything at this point. Does anyone have any other info on this?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The seizures are an electrical storm in the brain. It raises the heart rate and can stop their breathing. It's hard on them. The biggest risk of seizures is overheating. Having a seizure is like running a marathon in 5 minutes. It's physically exhausting for the dog. My mom's little dog only had 2-3 a year, she did not have her on meds. For two or three a month, I would start her on it. Smoke played and ran around on the phenobarb, he may have been a little dull to me but that could have also been because of the underlying problem, I think he may have been poisoned by something. My good friend had a pug that had seizures and he was on the meds his whole life and was very playful, we just had to be careful not to overstimulate him or he would seize.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
We had a dog on phenobarb for several years. She did fine on it. She was loving and playfull. The meds did make her a bit tired but I gave them to her at night so she slept it off for the most part. Also, I got the vet to write me a perscription and had it filled at the local pharmacy. It was much much cheaper then getting them at the vets office.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts