Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Mine love walks too. And I enjoy walking them. But the purse comes in handy at times too, like if we are visiting friends/family, going to the city or downtown Naperville or going to a restaurant where pets are permitted outside or in certain shops like Nordstrom rack. They allow dogs, but they are not allowed to walk around. I try not to knock or pass judgement on people who like to use carriers. To each their own.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I only use my carriers when we go certain places like the vet, restaurants, and long days spent in Chicago to use once the chis can no longer walk!! Or if it's too crowded to walk like the magnificent mile ON Michigan Ave. My chis love their long walks and exercise!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I used to be like, ew purse dogs. But it's really practical with trying to be with my dog after the retirement of two service dogs. Douglas used to be one, Alli did too and stuff caused both to need to retire. I cannot get another now. So I keep Douglas with me as much as I can and avoid non-pet friendly places, and the bag is handy for that. He does still know how to be a service dog and will work for me as needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wish my Pie-pie would allow me to stuff her little butt into one! It would be so convenient and help my poor frazzled nerves when she just about gets stepped on. But, nope. Little miss independent won't do it.

:)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Kikopup does a great youtube video on training your dog to go into a carrier. We use them for practical reasons, such as getting 5 Chis into the car in one trip, or when the puppies were little and couldn't walk as far as the adults. Delilah has a sling, and it has really helped with her training. She is far less reactive in the sling than if she is on the ground. The body contact helps her with her confidence, so I can take her to places where she might encounter her triggers. If she sees one when on the lead her comfort zone is maybe 20 feet away, but in the sling she can have them within 6 feet of her without issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I might just have to train her into it. Thank you.

She hates not being able to walk, get her nose to the ground, or being held behind her brothers on a walk. I think she feels she's missing out on something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts