Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone so a few weeks ago I posted a pic of a puppy we were considering getting but my OH thinks it might be too much right now to have a puppy as they are like babies and need full attention and since now I am working I won't be able to stay at his apartment and care for a puppy while he is at work. So I was browsing pet finder and came across an adult female merle chi and it is said to be a rat terrier mix to me looks like a chi. Because she is an adult it says in her profile that she is house trained but doesn't know how to ask to go outside yet they are working on it in her foster home I think this would work out better for us.

My question is the form for the adoption is HUGE like 100 questions one of the questions asks if your other pets are spayed/neutered. Prada isn't spayed I want oh to spay her but he doesn't want to for whatever reason I am still working on it with him since Baby is going to be spayed soon. Do you think this will lessen our chances of getting the rescue because his other dog isn't spayed? She is up to date on all shots and everything. The rescue will be living with Prada as company/play mate for her if we do decide to get her. We would still have to go down and look at her before making a decision.

I've never adopted a dog from a shelter or rescue before so I'm not sure how picky they are. She would have a really good home and be ridiculously spoiled and have Ninja and Baby-Love to play with on weekends. I also plan on taking her to obedience classes if she hasn't had them already (the info in the ad was really short).

I should add that the rescue chi/chi mix is spayed (usually they are already from rescues) she will just be a pet obviously.

we JUST started to consider it we are still open to the puppy idea though but thought it would be more practical for us with an adult who is already house broken.

oh ya and if she is mixed with a RAT terrier what is a rat terrier anyways? I always call Baby-Love a rat terrier but I never knew there really was such a thing lol (guess I need to google this)/ She is from a rat terrier rescue so I am wondering if she is even mixed or if they just put that because it's a rat terrier rescue.

The pics posted in the ad are really bad shots no face shots at all so I can't tell if she is mixed or not.

any help or suggestions are appreciated or any advice from people who have adopted from rescues or work at them. I did do some work for my local shelter i highschool but I wasn't part of the adoption process I did office work an animal behaviour (picking which dogs to go up or adoption based on aggression etc) .
I will edit to add a pic asap

PICS

·
Registered
60 Posts
she is very very pretty.
YES, it is quite important to rescues that your other pets are spayed or neutered.
rat terriers either went into making chi's or vice a versa.
I am glad that I adopted my 6 mo. old , as older chis have less chance of being adopted.They will want to know why y our boyfriend does not want to spay her. How come ? do you know ? I understand their reasons as their are sooooo many chi's up for adoption.
Good luck. where is she ??

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
She is very cute, looks purebred to me though. It depends on the rescue some are pretty strict about making sure all the dogs in the household are spayed or neutered.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she is at the rat terrier rescue of canada

OH is dumb in his thinking sometimes but I guess to sum it up it is kinda like the guy thing when you chop the chestnuts off a male dog but Prada is a female lol so I don't know why it is an issue. Maybe he has a fear something will happen to her in surgery Idk but he may feel different when Baby-Love gets spayed he is not happy about that either he doesn't think she needs to be spayed I should print off a list of why it is better and all the cancers and complications she could get without being spayed it may change his mind.

I haven't booked Baby-Love's spay yet but maybe I can convince him to get them both done at the same time lol.

and I have googled about rat terriers now and have received a pm about them also.

I do know that chi's are the #1 abandoned breed well looks that way on pet finder there is more chi's than anything else but I don't get why rescues need this huge application filled out with your employers phone number and spouses employers phone number etc. it just seems like more of a hassle to me then to go buy a puppy from a byb. I think that may be the sad reason that more people don't adopt. I understand they want to make sure you are going to keep the dog forever and it isn't going to be tossed around or returned but what do they need my employers number and a few other odd things for? I can see asking for occupation or income or whatever to make sure you can pay for the dog but some things I find intimidating on the form like if it isn't the exact answer they're looking for you will be labelled as not worthy enough to adopt one of their rescues. IDK if I am just over thinking the whole process because I have never been through it or not or if it is fact.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just thought to add OH has never owned a dog before Prada

We haven't contacted the rescue yet but probably will anyways and see how it goes hopefully we can still adopt her or get Prada spayed before if they will keep her for us.

We are in the early stages of searching so it doesn't have to be the first one we come across but I have always wanted a merle and think she is so pretty and would have a good life with us. Prada is very active so even if this chi was mixed with a high energy rat terrier I think they would go good together OH has a huge fenced in field across the street from his apt and that's where he takes Prada to run off leash (she is trained for off leash) she can run forever and fast like a lightening bolt lol. The rescue would be kept on leash until we could train her to go off leash either ourselves or with a trainer.

We also take our chi's on many adventures in the warm months we go to the beach a lot and we have many trails here with amazing hidden waterfalls that we take our chis on hikes. I think it would be a perfect match from the sounds of the ad hopefully we can go to the rescue in person rather than just send in a form so we can actually meet and speak to them I think that is a way better way to interpret someones capability of owning a dog rather than on paper.

I will update once we actually speak to them

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not sure what the rules are over there. But i do know here (australia) if you get a pet from a shelter etc, they de-sex the animal themselves before the animal can go home. The price of the adoption includes the de-sexing. Good Luck I hope everything turns out for you and her.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know the rescues are generally pretty strict on spaying your current animals. We adopted Riley but all of our others were already fixed. We were mainly worried about our lack of a fence in our yard. I'd keep working on the OH about spaying Prada. Once he agrees, you can tell the rescue that she is going to be spayed on x-date.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It depends on the rescue. I adopted Lilo as an adult and I had 2 unaltered dogs in my household, a male and female border collies. I filled out the adoption application and then wrote an additional note that I am very aware of the pet overpopulation problem and that my two unaltered dogs are show dogs that need to remain intact to show. I also detailed the precautions that I take when my girl comes into heat.

The rescue was super nice about understanding, the foster shows dogs as well, and did allow me to adopt Lilo happily. They were even more excited when they learned that I planned to train and show Lilo in agility as well.

I also work for E. TN Border Collie Rescue as a foster home and I sit on the board of directors. We are fairly picky about our adopters having their animals spayed or neutered unless they are showing or if there is a health reason that they cannot be altered. The animal placed will be altered but we also want to make sure that the adopter isn't going to contribute to the overpopulation and it's a sad fact that, while show people are very strict about keeping girls and boys apart as they don't want a pregnancy to mess up a show season, the normal pet population isn't normally as concerned (this statement does not reflect on you, it is a general statement) or knowledgeable about how to prevent pregnancy. We see a lot of people who turn their backs for just a second or depend on a crate or doggie panties to keep the dogs from breeding. And then they just can't understand how their female got pregnant. Now that being said if you fill out the application you need to add in something about why these girls aren't spayed, they will definitely want to know. And, for me, saying that your husband is against spaying animals would be a huge red flag. I would be fine with it if there was a reason but the macho attitude of because I don't want to because it makes them less of a man or girl won't hold up for me. But the worst that can happen is that they say no so if you like the dog then it's worth it to try!

Also, concerning the adoption application, we don't have employer on our application but I wouldn't be worried about putting it down. They are probably just wanting to make sure that they can contact you if they need to and that is like asking for your daytime work phone number. A lot of people do get upset about the adoption process but it is a necessary evil. If all breeders did this then we wouldn't have all these dogs in rescue. It's the bybs who sell to just anyone that are a huge part of the problem. A lot of these dogs have been through a huge amount of stress and I've seen dogs that have been through 6 or 7 homes in their short 1 year of life. We want to make sure that this home is their final stop. Don't take offense. To us it's all about the dogs, we are more concerned with their fate then anything else.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I adopted Lavender from a local small dog rescue group. They asked a lot of questions and I answered all of them, but would not have answered any question I was not comfortable answering. I'm a single woman and pretty careful about what information I give anyone. If I didn't think it was information they needed, I would have told them why I didn't answer the question and talked to them about it.

I signed a contract that stated if the situation ever arises where I can't keep Lavender, I will contact the rescue group and they will take her back. I liked that!

I would have problems with someone adopting a rescue and saying they plan on letting the dog run loose under any circumstances, in a field or at the beach, anywhere. Just how I feel about it. These Chis are very small and easily injured by another dog. I would not let one of mine run loose outside of a very secure fenced area. And I'm not convinced that even mine would come quickly when called EVERY time under ANY circumstances. All it takes is a dog or cat or situation the dog has never seen before. I've heard someone say "the dog never did that before" too many times after a tragedy.

I'm definitely a believer in spaying/neutering and there are good reasons for requiring that.

Having said all of that, I regard rescue folks very highly and anyone who adopts a rescue is my hero! I don't know how the rescue folks do it and am very thankful they are there. Wouldn't take anything for my sweet Lavender!

Jeanette

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I adopted Lavender from a local small dog rescue group. They asked a lot of questions and I answered all of them, but would not have answered any question I was not comfortable answering. I'm a single woman and pretty careful about what information I give anyone. If I didn't think it was information they needed, I would have told them why I didn't answer the question and talked to them about it.

I signed a contract that stated if the situation ever arises where I can't keep Lavender, I will contact the rescue group and they will take her back. I liked that!

I would have problems with someone adopting a rescue and saying they plan on letting the dog run loose under any circumstances, in a field or at the beach, anywhere. Just how I feel about it. These Chis are very small and easily injured by another dog. I would not let one of mine run loose outside of a very secure fenced area. And I'm not convinced that even mine would come quickly when called EVERY time under ANY circumstances. All it takes is a dog or cat or situation the dog has never seen before. I've heard someone say "the dog never did that before" too many times after a tragedy.

I'm definitely a believer in spaying/neutering and there are good reasons for requiring that.

Having said all of that, I regard rescue folks very highly and anyone who adopts a rescue is my hero! I don't know how the rescue folks do it and am very thankful they are there. Wouldn't take anything for my sweet Lavender!

Jeanette

I think the off leash thing is based on your own comfort level with the training of your dog. Prada comes back every single time and I run with her it's how I do my own exercise lol She also NEVER walks in front of us ALWAYS behind us off leash if we stop she stops she will never go in front of us unless I give her the command at the field or if she is leashed she is to walk beside us. I only feel 100% comfortable letting her off the leash because I know she will never take off but I also stated that we take her to a FENCED in field for off leash, so she isn't just running free wherever she wants. Also I stated I would NOT let the rescue off the leash UNTIL she was 100% trained to I wouldn't be stupid enough to let a dog I don't even know just run free that would just be asking for it. We don't let them off leash at the beach, Prada is allowed off leash in a Forrest just because we KNOW she stays right behind us or I make her walk right in front of me so I can see her at anytime if I called her name she would lay down immediately so I could put her lead on. I have had her since birth so we have worked with her since she was really young to go off leash so my comfort level with her is very high.

I think ALL rescues have to make you sign a contract that you are to return the dog to them if it doesn't work out.

I believe in spaying also especially more so now that I have read horror stories on here of unspayed females and health problems arising.

I hope we can adopt a rescue it would be very rewarding to give her a good permanent home life. I always have 1 more spot on my legs for another chi at night :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts