Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my rescue chi a few months ago from a local vet hospital. They said she is really timid but very loving. She came right to me and we bonded instantly. I make sure she is well loved but also aware I am in charge. She has been around men and though a little nervous by no means aggressive. I am single and live a lone. A guy friend came to visit and she attacked him when he went to hug me. We laughed it off thinking it was an isolated incident and put her in a different part of the house. The other night my boyfriend who lives far away came to visit. When we came in she was barking (she never barks) at him and growling. She then tried to bite him while I was holding her so she could sniff him out. Not sure what to do she got a little spanking, and went to her crate. After 15 minutes.I brought her out again, and this time she let him touch her. As I was laying with my head in his lap she laid on me... When he bent down to kiss my forehead she bit his nose. Of course this isn't okay, so she got another spanking and spent the night on her separate side of the home. I am afraid to bring her around children, and worried about her aggressive behavior. She is fine with him here if we are separate couches but I am not going to cater our relationship to a dog, she also displays obvious behaviors of discontent towards him ... What should I do??

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think that spanking her will probably just make her fearful or aggressive, and not teach her anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all I am not hurting her.... Secondly if I thought it was an appropriate response to the situation then I wouldn't have gone through the difficulty of asking any of you for some help. There is a fine line between discipline and abuse and I promise you I am no where near towing the line. If I can spank my child I most certainly can spank a dog, but instead of passing judgement maybe you could make suggestions. Because as far as I am concerned if all you can do is tell me I am wrong without making a solution then you don't know what to do yourself and you would let the dog be destructive... Which with homer owners insurance could be a lot more nonsense then spanking a dog.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
you have just described one of my chis. She was also a rescue & has a huge dislike for men especially when they get to close to me. I believe my chi was abused by a man at some point in her life & that is why she is fearful of them she is fine with kids & females. my chi would bark & growl everytime my bf would come over & has bit him several times while she was trying to protect me (from the evil male lol) my bf made it a point to show her who was boss & he would hold her on her back & petted her for a bit without letting her go she has now learned to tolerate him.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Spanking a dog is useless. It will just make them more fearful and more aggressive. I hope you don't continue to do that. :(

The behavior your dog is exhibiting needs to be curbed immediately or you'll just end up with a bitey, growly, nippy little you-know-what, who will ultimately insist on "protecting" you from everyone. What you need to understand is that this behavior is fearful behavior. She's not trying to be nasty, she's SCARED. So spanking her is just adding to her fear, and it will ramp up the very behavior you're trying to curb.

It sounds like she might have been abused by a male too, which is just adding to the problem. You need to get her to make different associations towards males in general, and your bf in specific. She needs to starting thinking bf = good stuff! To start out, have him approach her with LOTS of high value, yummy treats. Not when she's in your arms, just when she's chill somewhere. You need to work up to having him treat her when she's in your arms, but ONLY when she's not growling or trying to nip, otherwise you'll just be reinforcing that behavior.

There is a LOT that goes into curbing this kind of behavior, and it's not going to get covered in my post, or for that matter in this thread. Whole books have been written on the subject. I suggest you google the subject and avail yourself of the wealth of information that's available to help you deal with this.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
First of all I am not hurting her.... Secondly if I thought it was an appropriate response to the situation then I wouldn't have gone through the difficulty of asking any of you for some help. There is a fine line between discipline and abuse and I promise you I am no where near towing the line. If I can spank my child I most certainly can spank a dog, but instead of passing judgement maybe you could make suggestions. Because as far as I am concerned if all you can do is tell me I am wrong without making a solution then you don't know what to do yourself and you would let the dog be destructive... Which with homer owners insurance could be a lot more nonsense then spanking a dog.
A dog is MUCH different than a child and spanking the dog will not help but make it more fearful as said above. It really concerns me that you are more concerned with the home owner's insurance than you are the well being of your dog...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i can see this could be a problem since shes guarding you from your men friends i was thinking maybe have your friend give her a treat something she loves and shell take to him with kindness and treats good luck how old is she and how long have you had her thank s

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Before I got my dog, I did a lot of research on training and every single source stated that spanking will not teach your dog anything. Responding to her aggressive behavior by hitting her will probably teach her to bite, which is exactly the opposite of what you want.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You did ask for advice ... and spanking a dog doesn't do any good. I'm sure you aren't hurting her, but it isn't helping solve the problem either. She nips - you hit - she responds with a nip - you respond with a hit ... goes on and on. The suggestion to have your boyfriend, any man, give her high-value treats and get her to associate man = something good is what you need to do. It will take some time, but it certainly can be done. You can't have a dog that bites, of course, whether for home owner's insurance reasons or just because no one wants a dog that bites. It's not a small problem and it doesn't have a small solution. Perhaps you could consult a dog behaviorist?

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I certainly wasn't suggesting that you were hurting her when you were spanking her. That's NOT the point at all. The POINT is that spanking is an aggressive action towards your dog, no matter how lightly you do it, and human aggression towards the animal results in fear, which results in things like fear biting and nipping, growling, snapping etc.

No one was picking on you. You came here ASKING for advice. Part of that advice, from folks who are very experienced dog AND chihuahua owners, is to STOP SPANKING. Not because we think you're mean, or cruel, or out to hurt your dog. But because that kind of response to the behavior you are trying to correct will ultimately result in MORE of the very same behavior you're trying to correct.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
An aggressive dog in this situation will take time and patience to make behavioral changes. If you can give her those you can fix the problem.

Joie was extremely aggressive after I rescued him. For over a year after I brought him home, he would go mental towards ME when I put on a winter coat. Obviously, he was traumatized by a male in the past, and the coat coming out triggered his flight or fight response.

I agree that spanking or hitting a Chi isn't a good idea, but especially with an aggressive dog, it tends to fuel the fire more than anything - the exact thing you don't want.

There are cans of compressed air ( can't recall the brand name) you can get at the pet store. When the dog is showing signs of aggression, say NO firmly and spray the can briefly (don't point it at her, it's the sound that does the trick). It works very well. You just have to be sure the dog in the process of exhibiting the bad behavior and you have to correct him with 'NO' - you don't want to train him to react to the spray, you want him to react to NO. The spray is great for that.

If you can't catch her in the act of the 'bad behavior' then don't bother correcting her. In other words, after she's snapped at someone, don't pick her up and then scold her. That makes her think picking her up is a bad thing. It's what is happening at the instant you correct her that she will associate with the correction. Dogs live in the moment !

You should have your boyfriend spend time with you and the dog, and don't make a big deal of it. Let the dog come to him. Tell him not to coax it, just ignore it and behave as if she's not there.

And, as Tink pointed out, people are trying to be helpful, although it is easy to be short when it comes to physically correcting a Chi. It's not an option. It simply won't give you any positive results.

Patience and time.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I totally get your frustration, but, I don't think spanking does anything to a dog. If anthing, it may come to fear you. But, I know what you mean. When my children were young, a spanking for bad behavior would be in order. Not just at will, but they knew when they did something that warranted a spanking.
I don't know about dog behavior, however, I did watch and learn a little from Victoria Stillwell on "it's me or the dog." And she did have such an episode. Her solution was to have the person come into the house and toss small pieces of chicken on the floor for the dog to eat as a sort of peace offering. Then offer it with the chicken in the "palm" of the hand. After time, they became friends.
When I offer a dog a treat, it's almost always from the palm of my hand. If I hold it between my fingers, I run the risk of being bitten, unintentionally. Hope this helps just a little.

·
Registered
128 Posts
"If I can spank my child I most certainly can spank a dog"

This is what worries me the most about your post...your dog is not a child. Emotionally you may be attached to them as if they are your child, but a dog cannot and should not be disciplined in the same manner as toddler. Instead of spanking her, give her a firm NO ___ (name) and promptly put her in another room.

You can also fill a can (like a soda can) with pebbles or pennies, tape the top, and shake it whenever she starts to act aggressive.

Those are both negative punishments- the ideal way, IMO, would be to jackpot-treat her whenever your boyfriend is around. That's how I got my dog used to my neighbors- whenever he was standing by the fence and not barking at them, or they walked past and he didn't bark immediately, I'd shove his little mouth full of treats and go crazy with the praise. He still doesn't look forward to seeing them, but he greets them with an open mouth and a tail wag and lets them walk through their own yard without throwing a fit :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts