Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to adopt a 1 year old rescue chi from a breeder that she raised, she charged me 150 dollars, and right off the bat the chi was Sooo frightened, horribly afraid of people. She said he has always been like that but how could that be? I wanted to work with him, so I chose him. The breeder said she is a vet, gave me the shot information and sent me on my way with a bag of dog food.

Immediately I got home and let him come out of the carrying cage. He wouldn't come out after an hour so I took him out and put him on my bed. He cowers horribly, shaking ALL the time, His tail never wags, always under his legs,won't look me in the eyes so I figured he was abused and left him to himself to adjust. I slowly pet him and praise him gently .2 days pass he is still frightened of me but allows me to pet him a little more than before. He doesn't move off of my bed except to go to the bathroom so I assume he's sick. He does eat, not as much as I would think a healthy chi does. I also noticed when sitting his eyes slightly close and he faints and catches himself quickly before he falls. Instead of bringing him to the vet I immediately brought him back to the breeder and told her she HAS to get him checked out because he's sick, and to call me when she does. She agrees but I have yet to get a call back.

I want to go pick the dog back up, but do you think this is wise? I have no problem with bringing my dog to the Vet but this seems shady. I fell in love with this dog, I want to help the dog,but I can't tell if it's just badly abused, sick or both.

I apologize In advance this is my first experience like this.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
if it was me i would keep ringing her to ask about progress,did she refund your money ? I know i would have kept her and done everything possible for her,it will take time and lots of TLC as i'm sure people on here will tell you that have taken in dogs like yours.You must do whatever your heart tells you

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm afraid I'd have kept him as well!

I bought my daughter a chi x 2 years ago but she didn't socialize him or take him outside the house for a whole year. No physical abuse at all just not 'treated' right.

She returned him to me at 1 year old and he was just the same as you describe this little one. It took him almost a month to come out from under the table unless we dragged him out. Even now he won't come to us for a stroke unless we are sat down. If we go to pick him up when we are stood up we have to give the command 'down' or we can't catch him!
Even now LeStat shakes and shivers and he 'squints' his eyes. He's scared of falling asleep and will do as you describe and look like he's almost fainting whilst sat up and just catch himself before he falls over.....we've learned that this is just LeStat and we have to live with him as he is....he is a lot better than he used to be but it's taking along time to bring him around.

I'd get in touch with the breeder and say you'll take him back. If in a few weeks you still think he's not well and it's not behaviour issues then I'd have him to vet at that time once he's had chance to adapt to his new life!

·
Registered
437 Posts
The fainting you describe can also be him wanting to sleep, but to scared to.
He want to stay awake, but almost falls asleep...

If you want the dog take him for a vet check yourself! NEVER trust a breeder on doing this... especially in a shady case like this. Some breeders have vets that help them covering up a lot of problems.

Keep in mind that if you go for this dog, you probably need a long breath!
He needs a lot of work done for his fear.. and even with a lot of work there is a change he never gets over it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am somewhat confused...

You rescued a Chi from a breeder and you think he was abused so you took him back to the breeder?

Was this one of her pups or did she get him for breeding and things not work out?

Maybe I am just reading the post wrong...But there is no way I would take a dog back to someone I suspected had abused them

I have a rescue that was a wreck when I first got him. It took almost a year to make him feel secure enough to behave normally. He still isn't completely past the abuse - they never forget it - but he has come a long way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The "breeder" says he was shy to begin with and was sold to somone who didn't work out and returned him. My guess he was mistreated, but since I wasn't there I can't really say. It's obvious the breeder isn't abusing them because there were other dogs that were completely fine, came up to me tails wagging, few were stand offish except for this guy. I also noticed that they were all roaming free except him because he would run from you if you came near him. He gets along with other dogs just not humans.

Now say this dog was abused, I know this can be turned around with patience and the right person, but say this is a generic or birth problem, can this be turned around as well? I have no problem at all Helping a dog in need as I live alone, but i don't want to put him in a place where he's not happy, I figured maybe he is better being with the other dogs?

The breeder offered me a refund and didn't have much to say,dodging my phone calls. at this point I'm thinking something isn't right here. I wanted to give a rescue a better life, that's why I chose him to begin with, but of the breeder doesn't cooperate that tells me that it's all for money purpose and maybe I should search elsewhere.

I thank you all for your help and opinions as I am taking it all in, Ive done my research but I can't know it all.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Wow, I'm awful glad I read the OP's last post before composing a reply 'coz I was pretty upset.

So, the abuser/s is/are not the breeders who've abused the puppy, rather the people she sold it to who brought it back to her. (She claims to be a Vet - have you checked that info, surely your country has a registry of Veterinary Surgeons?)

By the sounds of it, you're better off getting your money back and finding a pup without any issues to start with so you can learn and gain experience that way, and this pup should go to someone who knows how and what these issues are, and who's only too happy to bide their time with the dog until he chooses to trust because that could take a very long time.

SHAME on the breeder for not ensuring that was the case before she sent him away to an ill-fitting home, silly, uncaring cow. Even a normal breeder would know better, let alone a Vet!!!!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
You know, I have a very shy dog that acts terrified around new people when he first meets them. I've had Pepper since he was 6 weeks old, so I know he was never abused. He's been treated the same as all my other puppies, socialized the same, but he is still shy and scared. My best guess is that's just the way Pepper is. *shrug* It's not always that they have been abused. And with the breeder not calling you back, in her book, this is the second family she placed the dog with that has returned the puppy, she may not want to try again with you. She may be holding out for a person that is more willing to really love and work with the dog and not call her and send the dog back so fast.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
same story as Mandy. Puppymill mama, given to an auction at 7 yrs when she didn't get pregnant. This dog was terrified of humans, but perfectly OK with people. Sometimes it is genetic. Nothing much works then. Good luck if you get this dog back. Sue

·
Banned
248 Posts
Some dogs are simply born horribly timid. I grew up with Huskies (working dogs as well as pets). And my dad always bought from reputable breeders who health tested ect and were always good to their dogs. I remember once he bought two puppies from a friend/breeders best dogs litter. One was a normal puppy rowdy, loving, out going what most "normal" puppies are. The second was extremely timid would cower and cringe at a hand coming towards it (this puppy was NEVER abused), would jump at any random loud/odd sound, and was not out going. My dad had actually gotten him because he felt bad for the pup.....Which we all know now is not always a good reason to get a dog. Naturally shy dogs are very very hard to work with. It's possible but tough.

Anyways back on topic. It does sound like this dog could have been abused. But he could very well just be naturally very timid. I recently fostered a female Toy Fox Terrier mix and she was timid on all counts hand shy, would tremble at a raised voice, would give you a whale eye for looking at her wrong ect. And she often would lay and I would watch her eyes get heavier and heavier until she would want to pass out/fall asleep and she would kind of slump over and wake herself back up. She had a complete clean bill of health. She was just stressed to the absolute max.

It took me MONTHS to get her to somewhat act like a normal dog before she was adopted by a very sweet woman.

So no it doesent sound like he was sick. Atleast not without seeing him myself. And most likely the breeder will not get him vet care. But put him back up for sale.

But you need to do whats best for you. Alot of people take on timid dogs because they feel sorry for them. And who wouldn't? But you have to be realistic. Is this dog ever going to become the dog you were hoping for? Probley not. If you are okay with this compromise totally go for it. If not then as cold as it sounds don't choose the timid dog no matter how bad you feel. You also need to consider if you have the "tools" to help a timid dog come around so that it can function like most dogs. You have to do what is both fair to you and the dog.

I have seen people take in timid dogs who did not know what they were doing and it was a total trainwreck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I rescued a little Apple Head 3 years ago & she was 8 months old. She had also been placed with a couple of homes too but they said she was a runner. Plus the person I rescued had small children & would carry her around by her neck, fight over who was going to hold her. She has problem legs which were made worse by the rough treatment. But we wanted her & knew we had our work cut out for us but we had no children, 1 awesome Deer Faced Chihuahua to help with her. She is such a quiet, sweet little girl, very calm. It took her 3 years for her to wag her tail when she saw us coming to get her out of bed! Our Chis sleep with us & with those problem legs, we did not want her to jump off the bed. We had to be very careful & slow with her but she finally trusts us & a few friends. It takes her a while to get to know people is still very shy, does not like children & gets fearful out of her comfort zone. We are so happy & blessed to have her. So it will take a LOT of patience & love but what a reward when that tail finally wags at the sight of you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts