Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago a cold and hungry Chihuahua showed up at my doorstep with no owner in sight. It was bout 20 degrees F outside, so I immediately let the small dog inside. We warmed him up, gave him a good meal, and he has been with me ever since. I went door to door and made postings on several social websites to try and find his owner, to no avail. So we concluded he was either sat out by some horrible person, or ran away, possibly from a bad home. Nevertheless I have grown attached and fell in love with this amazing Chi. I immediately took him to the vet, where he got a clean bill of health, and scheduled him for neutering a month later. He is a male chi, now neutered, and the vet seems to think he is approx. 3yrs. old. This is my question/ situation: Pepper loves to play with my girlfriends Chorkie ( chi and yorkie mix), and will chew on bones as long as she is around. However, when its just us ( pepper and myself) at my apartment, he just lays in my lap, or on top of the couch and naps. No toys or bones, etc., seem to interest him at all. Of course I take him for walks and play with him all I can, but when its just "us", he seems depressed. Any insightful info would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Welcome,maybe he came from a home with other dogs and is missing having another dog to play with ,oh dear i can see another chi arriving in your home very soon

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Hmmm my dogs like a good old nap. Tillie my rescue just likes to cuddle up on my lap a lot and sleep. Then she'll go off for a play with Lola our other chi. Just give him lots of love, it takes time.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My chi is exactly the same way. If your chi will play with you when you want to play then I don't think he's depressed. Sounds like he enjoys being with you no matter what you do. Please post some pics soon.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My two-year-old, Lavender, is pretty quiet, loves to nap on my lap or in a cuddle bed. Then a couple of times a day, she gets full of fun and teases Cosmo to play with her or plays with her toys. We go for walks when the weather permits. I think she's pretty normal.

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My first rescue (a Chi / Cairn terrier mix) was the same way, until we rescued another one. He was 3 when we got him, too.

Now, we sometimes wish they would chill out and lay around!

These little dogs really appreciate having other dogs to interact with, more so than any other breed I've ever kept.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Yoshi is like that and I have had him since he was 9 weeks old. Even then he didnt play a whole lot like most pups I know. He is much happier being on mommies lap :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Well done for taking the little guy in! :hello1:

You don't mention his weight, is he overweight? This could play some part in his level of activity. But some chihuahuas are just less active than others. Tango, my 3 1/2 year old male, would play all day long if he had someone to interact with him. On the other hand Jazz, the 1 1/2 year old female, though she's way more hyper than Tango generally, she's less interested in playing than her brother. She'd rather curl up and sleep...in fact she's on my lap right now snoozing, while Tango's in his bed next to me, chewing on a toy. It very much depends on the dog and their makeup.

And as others have mentioned, the added factor is that chihuahuas as a breed tend to want to be close to and cuddle up with their humans, and most would rather do that than any other thing. From the limited information you've given us, it doesn't sound like your chihuahua is depressed, it sounds like he's just being a chihuahua. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts