Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you restrict how much water your dogs drink? Lola pees more than any dog I have ever known. It isn't anything medical - she just likes to drink. A LOT. Now that we have her, we go through 4 - 5 times the number of piddle pads we used to go through. I have been thinking of restricting her water intake but I feel mean doing so. Do any of you do it? If so, when do you let them drink? I was thinking during each of the two mealtimes and then before bed. Is that enough? Is this mean to do so?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
it certainly isnt going to hurt to stop watering her say after 6-7 pm.......thats encouraged when you crate train so obviously its not a problem.....I dont restrict but I know what you mean about the pp's. Bindi is a pee-a holic too! Sometimes she just pees a tad others alot. She is a great drinker too and has gotten Kemo to drink better cause they are always rough housing :D

I wonder cause I may train her outside -- just how I will do that cause she has those tiny tinkles....... :roll:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link Ms_P. That is not a bad price at all for 100 so I think I will order a box.

Victoria, Lola does the same thing. Sometimes just a little tiny drop will come out and then she will come wagging her tail at me like she did something fantastic. LOL Maybe I made too big of a deal when she used to go as a puppy. LOL

·
Registered
95 Posts
I never restrict the water for my dogs, but I know people who do.
What sort of food do you feed? if it's dry perhaps it makes lola thirsty:tongue:- only a thought .

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am feeding them Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul dry food and before that she had Iams dry food so it could be that it is causing her thirst. :wink:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I control the amount of water my dogs get in a day. I usually feed them around 5pm and then let the water stay down an hour after they are done. After that I bring it up for the night. They were peeing in their crates at night and my vet said to bring up the water around 6-7pm and take them out right before I went to bed. After that I havent had a problem.

You said Lola was healthy right? Usually exessive drinking is a sign of another medical issue, but just as long as she checks out okay I dont see the harm of restricting her water intake. I hightly doubt you will restrict it to the point were she is getting dehidrated :wink:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
drinking

my two are also great drinkers!! they drink a bowl of water a day, just the two of them :shock: i think paris pees 10 times a day!!
taking the water is not an option for me as i have three baby's that need their drink :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You might want to think about letting them outside to pee sometimes. My three will go outside several times a day, if not to cold. This makes a huge difference! I think it is just instinct for them to pee outside?? I dont use near as many pads on the days they go out alot. However, I'm home quite a bit during the day. I like the pads that you get from the Medical Supply. A friend of mine gave me a big bag of them.....I understand it is much cheaper to buy them at a medical supply. :D

sandra

1 - 10 of 10 Posts