Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't posted in such along time due to crappy things going on but I need some advise from those used to little dogs.

My poor pups have been up rooted and we are staying with family until I can hopefully get a job and my own place. Up until we moved the dogs only has one or two accidents if they didn't get taken out regularly. Well here they seem to think that they need to pooh on the floor even if the back door is wide open for them to go outside. I'm horrified and frustrated this is going on because my aunt asked if they were trained before we moved in. They were trained if they were taken out. I admit that I've been depressed and lax and just though that the boys would go out since the backdoor is alway open (Leah is leashed in the living room because she was the main naughty doggie at my moms and Eva is crated because she is in heat and I refuse to have an oops litter). My poor dears are now in crates until they are outside because my aunt doesn't trust them. We had a big long yelling fight because I said its not way for them to live and that during they day they can be outside because to me that is better than being in a small crate.
After all my rambling...I'd love tips on how to get them back to know what should be done when its time to go potty. Being crate trained is something I've been looking into so maybe that is the way to go for us now. Not sure if age is an issues but Quinn and Leah are 1. Claude is 11 months and Eva is 9 months.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have always found crate training to be the easiest and fastest way o 'retain' proper house behavior. Being uprooted and in a new place plays a big part in their regression. Any time I get either a new dog in or move to a new place, my dogs go back to crates and tethers. Part of it has to do with dogs being situational - they need to be reminded in every new place that they are only to go outdoors, and part of the tethering is to teach them to go in one designated spot in the yard. I'm lazy, I don't mind picking up poo, but I don't want to search an entire acre to do it. lol

So, for now, crate then leash them to the place where you want them to go, have a potty party' (lots of praise and treats) when they go in the correct place. If they are in the house, have them leashed to you. They can't have accidents if they are attached to you.

Best wishes that everything straightens out soon for you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am trying to potty train my "house trained" rescue. I am treating him like a puppy even though he is almost 2 years old. I keep him in the crate, block him in the room I'm in or tether him to me. He always finds a way to pee when I'm not looking and even peed when he was tethered to me!! Sneaky sneaky!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far so good. We have only had 1 accident from Leah since we started with the crate training but that when I wasn't home and I'm sure no one was keeping an eye on her.

The only thing that is killing me is that they boys whine so much. They whine the whole time they are outside, Claude can whine for hours on end I swear. I'd much rather they spend their time outside playing with my aunts dogs then shut in a cage. :( And even right now Claude has been whining in his crate for 20 minutes. I don't know what to do with him. He is the one that if he isn't within eye sight of me he whines or barks. I have no clue how he got so clingy or how to break him of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts