Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a member of this site since about 5 years ago, but I continue to forget my logins. I have two chihuahuas, Tia and Angel..

For the last couple of months, Tia has been doing a "reverse sneeze" (I call it snorting), and she does it continuously. She never used to do this.. And I think maybe sometimes Angel does it as well..

I guess it isn't a cold, considering it's lasted so long. Should I be concerned? They don't really get enough walks outside, but they run around my room. I do need to walk them more, as Tia is a little overweight, I think. Could not enough exercise be a factor? Dust maybe?? I used to have carpeted floors, and perhaps now that I don't, the dust isn't settling, and it's staying in the air?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Not sure but it sounds like maybe it could be Collapsing trachea. Look it up on the internet as there is lots of info on it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds pretty serious if that's what it is :(

I'm going to take both of them to the vets tomorrow then, and get a general check up on them as well.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I've been a member of this site since about 5 years ago, but I continue to forget my logins. I have two chihuahuas, Tia and Angel..

For the last couple of months, Tia has been doing a "reverse sneeze" (I call it snorting), and she does it continuously. She never used to do this.. And I think maybe sometimes Angel does it as well..

I guess it isn't a cold, considering it's lasted so long. Should I be concerned? They don't really get enough walks outside, but they run around my room. I do need to walk them more, as Tia is a little overweight, I think. Could not enough exercise be a factor? Dust maybe?? I used to have carpeted floors, and perhaps now that I don't, the dust isn't settling, and it's staying in the air?
Maybe they should get out more and come into contact with fresh air,and germs ,could be dust mites !How often do they go out ?Mine go out twice a day and have a garden.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe they should get out more and come into contact with fresh air,and germs ,could be dust mites !How often do they go out ?Mine go out twice a day and have a garden.
They don't get out as much in winter, as I live in Canada, and when I take them out and it's cold they don't seem to want to be there. I do put sweaters on them to keep them warm. Tia has a funny phobia of not walking on snow or ice, or over bridges, even small ones. Angel doesn't care.

The sidewalks aren't too bad now I don't think. It's also just a matter of making it a habit. I will definitely be taking them for more walks. I just haven't been on top of everything for a while, and I need to.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
My dog was doing that reverse sneeze--which is different that colapsed tracea--out of the blue. I did some detective work and --it was caused by drinking cold water. It is so cold here that his steel bowl on the wood floor was getting too chilly for the wee one. So now several times a day I change out his water to warm water. No more reverse sneezing !

Maybe it is somethng like that.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My dog was doing that reverse sneeze--which is different that colapsed tracea--out of the blue. I did some detective work and --it was caused by drinking cold water. It is so cold here that his steel bowl on the wood floor was getting too chilly for the wee one. So now several times a day I change out his water to warm water. No more reverse sneezing !

Maybe it is somethng like that.
That is something to try...Draco has been having a bout of the reverse sneezing as well.
He has always been prone to it...but lately it has been very frequent.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah my girls get it off and on.
Sometimes it comes on with excitment at something, like getting a tasty treat, other times am not sure why.
I know how to help them out when it is happening and make it stop, but i still worry.
Never thought about the cold water thing though, interesting.
x

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I was surprised..but I had to find out..nothing but the weather had changed. These floors are cold. Rico just prefers warm water..:rolleyes:. I think the the chill of cold water just gets that sneeze going. Since I have "figured this out" with the water thing it has stopped..

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have taken Tulula to the vet's this afternoon with a similar problem, i was really worried it was something very serious but it turns out she is fit and well. Because she is so young her tracea is small, and because she is teething it produces extra mucas which causes a kind of sneezing cough/snort. hope this helps but another thing is to give honey and rub the front of her throat to ease down the mucas.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You can search on youtube for collapsed trachea and also reverse sneezing and see examples of both. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was able to log in to my old account :D.. (it's nv_vegan)

Thanks so much guys. I'll look into it, I'm hoping I can take them to the vets today.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Keep us posted and let us know what the vet says :). I am interested in this as well as my Rosa does this. It started with drinking water then went into when she did exercize and then when she gets excited. I looked up CT and it sounded very much like it. Rosa is getting her booster shots the end of this month so I was going to mention it to the vet then, so I'll look forward to hearing what your vet has to say

1 - 13 of 13 Posts