Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First I think its reverse sneezing were the dog sounds llike it carnt breathe ?

I have 3 chihuhahuas,one never has had it and my other one only gets it occasionaly when she gets really excited but my pup whos about 15 weeks old gets it everyday and not just when shes excited.

She sounds like she carnt breathe and then she snorts and makes all this noise and then shes fine,I just think its weird thats it everyday and my others dont do it.Is this normal?How can I help her? I usually just stroke her under her chin and comfort her. x

·
Registered
383 Posts
My girls get that occasionally it's fustrating for them and me.
Anyway, there was a post awhile ago that suggested if you hold you hand over their nose and force them to breath through their mouth that would help. So far it has worked immediately for my girls maybe it would help for your little one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is when the cartilaginous rings of the trachea become soft, which causes it to collapse. 'Air' has trouble going to and from the lungs. This is not normal. I see it a lot in smaller dogs. My own Chihuahua does it. I would recommend keeping your baby calm, when this occurs.
PS, I know my spelling sucks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My girls get that occasionally it's fustrating for them and me.
Anyway, there was a post awhile ago that suggested if you hold you hand over their nose and force them to breath through their mouth that would help. So far it has worked immediately for my girls maybe it would help for your little one.
This is interesting, since dogs don't normally breathe from their month. ..not say your method isn't worth trying, I would just caution it.
I will try it myself.. thanks ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
This is interesting, since dogs don't normally breathe from their month. ..not say your method isn't worth trying, I would just caution it.
I will try it myself.. thanks
I know my girls have not had any ill effects from doing this, I`ve just held their noses for a second or two and repeat it if necessary.
As far as breathing through their mouths well when they`re panting they`re breathing through their mouths so I can`t imagine it would be any worse than that but really I don`t know.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks and I will try covering her nose and keeping her calm
I guess I should have been more specific, Just hold her nose for a second or two and repeat if necessary. She will pull back anyway because she can`t figure out what your doing lol. My girls are used to this procedure now and relax somewhat when I do this not like the first time when I did it lol.

They also are quite relieved when it works and usually give me a little kiss or wag of tail when it works

good luck

·
Registered
201 Posts
mine gets it quite often sometimes if i clap my hands she stops if not then i pinch her nose (not hard or anything) i suppose its like covering her nose and she stops,

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Thanks and I will try covering her nose and keeping her calm:) x
Reverse sneezing is common, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with them. It is different than a collapsed trachea.

When Lion starts doing the reverse sneezing thing, I usually try and keep him calm by petting his back and stopping him from running away. Also, covering his nose for a second makes him breath through his mouth and he stops.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Gonzo and Marmalade get this a lot. I just stroke their throat and it goes away. All mine do it at one time or another, but those two do it the most often. It is different from collapsed trachea, which is a lot more serious.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
It did freak me out the first time it happened with mine, but luckily i had good people here to put me straight. lol
I too just cover their noses or pinch their nostrils gently together.
This usually works fast, but if not i rub their throats or sometimes just distracting will do the trick.
Me holding them up to the window to look out, stuff like that.
It doesnt happen all that often though, usually if they play and get too excited or drink their water too fast.

Like the others said Collapsed trachea is a whole different ball of wax and much more serious!.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I guess I should have been more specific, Just hold her nose for a second or two and repeat if necessary. She will pull back anyway because she can`t figure out what your doing lol. My girls are used to this procedure now and relax somewhat when I do this not like the first time when I did it lol.

They also are quite relieved when it works and usually give me a little kiss or wag of tail when it works

good luck
Aww..that is so sweet!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Aww..that is so sweet!
:) it always amazes me when they do something that shows they understand and they're thankful I've just helped them or done something for them to enjoy.

People that think animals are 'dumb' just haven't got a clue :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Huh. I don't do anything when mine reverse sneeze. Jazz does it more than Tango. It only lasts a few seconds then they stop.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Midgie rarely does this too. Just once in a great while. I don't think this is normal for a pup to do it daily, but this just may be a very excitable pup. If this holds some concern, take the pup to the vet & get it checked out just to be sure that everythings o.k. When my chi does reverse sneezing (hardly ever) I talk calmly & tell her to relax & it's o.k. which stops the sneezing immediately. The pups trachea might be really small & weak & because it's a pup and gets excited a lot, it may be having trouble getting the air it needs causing this sneezing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reverse sneezing is common, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with them. It is different than a collapsed trachea.

When Lion starts doing the reverse sneezing thing, I usually try and keep him calm by petting his back and stopping him from running away. Also, covering his nose for a second makes him breath through his mouth and he stops.
ok...
Explain to me 'exactly' what it is. What is the physical form of it in your words?
thank you

·
Registered
91 Posts
Midgie rarely does this too. Just once in a great while. I don't think this is normal for a pup to do it daily, but this just may be a very excitable pup. If this holds some concern, take the pup to the vet & get it checked out just to be sure that everythings o.k. When my chi does reverse sneezing (hardly ever) I talk calmly & tell her to relax & it's o.k. which stops the sneezing immediately. The pups trachea might be really small & weak & because it's a pup and gets excited a lot, it may be having trouble getting the air it needs causing this sneezing.
True, and thanks for adding this :). This happens to older dogs too. The 'trachea' is soft, causing it to collapse slightly.

The two veterinarians that I worked for explained this to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts