Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain what reverse sneezing is?? A few people have suggested to me that Pixie is experiencing a reverse sneeze when she seems to start choking and sounds like she is gasping for air. These episodes usually last only a few seconds (most often when she is sleeping) and she is fine immediately after it is over. I always rub her throat and try to get her to drink some water. I don't want to go to a vet if this is a common occurence in chis and is really nothing to worry about. Please let me know if you have any knowledge on this topic. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It's extremely common, I've recently found. Cooper is the first chi I've had that makes that noise (he's the third in my family) and it completely freaked me out when I first heard it.

Due to their tracheas and soft palettes being as they are, they'll get a tickle in their throat and end up doing the reverse sneeze or cough. It's not harmful to them but I always feel that I need to stop it... because I'm paranoid.

Rubbing the throat helps to ease it, as well as pinching off or putting your finger in front of their nose. My mother taught me a trick where you put your hand under the belly, right below the rib cage and lift upwards until the back feet almost leave the ground. That stops Cooper every time.

There's a thread in the Chihuahua Articles section that talks more about the reverse sneeze ... http://www.chihuahua-people.com/viewtopic.php?t=10521

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Years ago, i took Tiffany to the vet for that. She (the vet) laughed at me and called it "backwards breathing", and said it was harmless. I've heard it called reverse sneezing only since i've been coming here, but it's the same thing. I have 6 grown chis and 5 of them do it all the time. We used to call it "getting the snorts" when i was a kid. lol

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It's completely normal. I think Cooper was about 4 or 5 months old when he first did it.

It's also normal for the dog to be walking across the room, stop and start coughing. They'll do it mostly when they're excited though; when Cooper sees his favorite person, my friend Jane, he goes into a happy dance like you wouldn't believe... then it's 5 minutes of reverse sneezing.

·
Registered
974 Posts
:D I posted this exact question less than a week ago! (Or maybe it was longer ... hmmm....)

Anyway, the article Cooper's mom mentioned was very helpful! Also, with Charley, pinching his nose works, although I have to do it a couple of times before the "sneezing" fit finally ends for good.

I tried doing what Cooper's mom said regarding the hand under the stomach, and it didn't work for me. You might just need the right touch, and I don't have it! Go figure! :lol:

Just relax and talk calmly to your baby no matter which tactic you attempt to stop the attack. Like kids, they will pick up on your panic and that can make the situation worse.

:flower:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts