Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does your Chi do it? Jasper seems to do it more more often when he is outside. I'm assuming it's "reverse sneezing" and hopefully not something more serious. It sounds like hacking. I read that it is pretty common in Chihuahuas. What causes it?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My girl does it a few times a week. I don't think there is a specific time, but I feel so bad for her when it happens. Such horrible hacking and honking! The first time it happened was in the middle of the night and she woke us. I thought she was having some kind of a seizure or was choking to death.

Someone on this great forum told me that if you plug the nose gently and rub their throats it helps..and it does. Its comforting to know its not dangerous, but it must feel terrible as it sounds...like an "unrelieved sneeze".

Here is a little article I found that explains it.

Reverse Sneezing, Chihuahua Honks or Mechanosensitive Aspiration Reflex « JustOneMorePet

·
Registered
362 Posts
We think arnie did this for the first time tonight since we bought him three weeks ago. I was SO panicked and almost crying as I thought he was choking or having a fit!!! Thank you for recommending the nose tip! Will def use that if it happens again! Xx

·
Registered
386 Posts
Dakota will do it only occasionally, but Khorra does it quite often. She does it the most after running around playing and then stopping to get a drink.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Gemma does it in her sleep or when she wakes up, when she drinks too fast, and when she gets very excited. It's very common in Chihuahuas and other small breeds, especially those with short muzzles. It looks and sounds so awful, but it is usually nothing to worry about. When Gemma is having a long one, I either massage her throat or cover her nostrils with my finger for about 5 seconds and that gets her to stop.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
IME my 2 normal size Chi's haven't done it at all, ever.

On the other hand, my 2 tinies often do it, especially the 2lb'er. Stroking the throat downwards quite firmly, or the covering of the nostrils for a second or so works a treat. Mine do it randomly with no excitement involved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts